Day Nineteen: Summer

Once upon a time the Seasons coexisted in harmony. They were worshipped as earthbound gods, living within the Palace of the Sun. They willingly took their turns in complete control of their kingdom, putting aside their differences for the good of all. Winter, spring, summer, fall. Soyala, Xuan, Vera, Qui.

        But the harmony would not last. Soyala began to manipulate and eat away at the time that rightfully belonged to other Seasons. She'd push Qui out of reign in the later monthes, refusing to give up her throne to Xuan when his time came and hers was up. Only Vera, the Summer Queen, was left untouched.

        It was during Vera's seasonal reign the two kings approached her. She sat upon a throne of a shimmering gold that rivaled the sun, a gold that was rivaled only by her flowing waves of hair. Her eyes, similarly, were a shimmering brown flecked with gold. Her skin was tanned, and she stood as though to display her height when they entered. Both kings swept into a bow, and she offered them a small smile.

        "Why is it that you have come before me, Brothers?"

        It was Xuan who spokeup, for Qui was a shy lad who cared not to speak anymore than required. As is such, Vera watched Xuan, whose strawberry blonde hair fell to his shoulders, a stray strand falling into his green eyes.

        "You know very well of our predicament, Sister. It seems that the Winter Queen is striving to break the peace." His eyes flared as he cut to the chase, Qui looking on silently from behind his brother.

        Vera frowned slightly. "But of course I know this."

        Xuan cast Qui a sideways glance beforing refocusing on the Summer Queen. "We fear she will take drastic measures, Sister. Brother and I have already agreed to band together in order to subdue this madness and return the structure to our kingdom. We wanted to know if we have your help as well, My Queen."

        Vera only looked at her brothers for a long while. None of those present, however, flinched or ever regretted the silence. It was not awkward; in all truth, the silence was calming. And that, of course, was what everyone needed: to stop and consider all aspects. Finally, she sat back in her throne, opening her mouth to speak.

        "The words you utter, Dear Brother, are undoubtably the truth. Things cannot be allowed to transpire as they have been. The truce between the Seasons must not be violated, lest all suffer as a result." She sighed. "But there is no reasoning with our Sister; all present here know this to be the truth. She will not refrain from her treacherous actions for no other reason than we bid her to do so. Soyala is not like that. There is no reasoning with the Winter Queen."

        She stood with a recurring sigh, beginning to pace the length of the chamber. "There are, however, other options that we have not yet considered thoroughly, although I know very well that these methods have crossed the minds of all present."

        Qui flinched, and Xuan's jaw dropped. "You don't mean...?"

        Vera gave him a strained smile. "I'm afraid I do. Soyala must be terminated."

        It was Qui's turn to contribute. "But then who will--"

        "We will raise up another Winter Queen, an heiress who will do for her people what our Sister has refused to do." She shook her head. "It may take many years -- decades, perhaps -- but it the best option we have." She gave her brothers a sharp look. "Until then, raise no suspicion. Allow Soyala her fetish. I will search for the next Winter Queen."

        Vera's eyes lit up with determination. "And I will find her."