Chapter 5

Math class was my next class. My body shook with adrenaline. The idea of going into the class without Fala was terrifying. Math had always been hard for me and because I could read at such a young age, teachers and counselors hadn't realized that I even had a learning disability. When the school finally did realize that I had dyscalculia they were able to get me a tutor who specialized in my disability.

Fala, Hawk and Talon walked me to my next class and a younger version of Fala with long hair that flowed all the way down her back, below her butt, ran up and threw her arms around Fala. She then hugged the boys and started babbling about a school dance. When she saw me, she stopped talking and smiled.

"Hi, I'm Mika!" She tried to hug me too. I jumped back quickly. Fala laid a hand on her shoulder.

"She doesn't like to be touched," Fala told her quietly.

"I'm Wren, it's nice to meet you," I kept my eyes on my shoes.

"We're going to be great friends, Ms. Stacey assigned you the seat next to mine. There are only a few students in our class. Most of us have all our classes here but Morgan takes classes in gen ed like you."

She was so bubbly and small, a tiny package that contained immense energy. I took the assigned desk Mika pointed out and started to get ready for the class. Fala, Hawk and Talon said their goodbyes and left reluctantly.

Ms. Stacey breezed into the room with a cup of coffee clutched in her hand. "Alright students let's get to work. It's an exciting day today!"

Ms. Stacey came and stood in front of my desk. I took a deep breath and looked at the floor

"My name is Wren," I told her, hoping she wouldn't try and shake my hand or make me stand up and tell the class about myself. She stood there patiently until I made eye contact.

"Good morning Wren! I'm happy you are in my class. I know you already have the school rules, but my class rules are pretty simple; be yourself and respect others."

I nodded but continued to look at the things on my desk.

Ten minutes into the class and I knew, Ms. Stacey was the best teacher I had ever had. She was kind, intelligent and easy going. There were only five students in the classroom, and I felt like Ms. Stacey really listened to everyone equally and she went out of her way to make all her students feel special.

After it felt like no time at all had passed, the bell rang, and Mika was jumping out of her seat to head to the cafeteria. I quickly packed up my stuff and followed the bouncing girl.

We walked into the cafeteria and got in line. I was surprised by the selection of foods. My last school had precooked burgers, rubbery cold pizza and iceberg lettuce salads with shredded dry carrots. I got a tray and placed a plate with a small serving of plain pasta. I skipped the red sauce but instead added carrot and celery sticks, sliced apples and a prewrapped string cheese.

After getting our food, we headed toward the courtyard downstairs. The large glass windows framed the garden prettily, and the doors that were wide open let in the scents of lavender and other plants from the garden. There was a beautiful verandah with stone tables and a large black walnut tree that gave respite from the bright sun. There were box planters off to the side that were full of flowers and vegetables. The sun shone down but there were plenty of shady spots to sit.

Movement from the corner of the garden drew my eye, and I stopped on the stairs to watch. The boy from the office, Phoenix, was arguing with Fala. Talon and Hawk were trying to pull her away, but she wasn't having it. Four of the other boys from our class were sitting at a stone table, listening but not participating in the argument.