Chapter 1

The humid night air was thick with the scent of rain-soaked earth as Safiya Rahman and Imran Malik patrolled the narrow, bustling streets of the old city. The chaos of evening traffic was dying down, giving way to the quieter, yet still watchful hours of the night. Street vendors were packing up, their carts full of unsold flowers and snacks, while stray dogs rummaged through the leftovers.

Safiya adjusted the radio clipped to her shoulder, tuning out the static before speaking. "Control Room, this is Echo 10 checking in. All quiet in Sector 17, over."

The reply crackled back, "Roger, Echo 10. Keep an eye on the industrial area; we received some noise complaints earlier. Could be nothing, but check it out."

Acknowledging with a nod, Safiya turned the jeep towards the industrial district, an area known for its deserted factories and warehouses, a stark contrast to the vibrant city life just a few blocks away. As they drove, the silhouettes of shuttered buildings loomed against the night sky, their empty windows like darkened eyes watching over the street. Occasionally, they spotted a couple walking hand in hand along a side road, lost in their private world, a stark contrast to the stillness that hung over the area.

Pulling up outside an old textile mill reported for suspicious activity, Imran killed the engine, and the silence that followed seemed louder than the noise of the bustling city. Both officers stepped out, their boots crunching on gravel mixed with broken glass. The gate to the compound was ajar, swinging lightly in the wind. 

As they neared the old textile mill, a known spot for occasional vagrants and miscreants, they noted the usual signs of nighttime at a commercial area winding down. The gates were closed, large padlocks hanging off them, untouched by the day's business. A watchman, stationed at the nearby warehouse, had succumbed to the late hour, his head thrown back, mouth open in a silent snore, oblivious to the world around him.

Safiya signalled to Imran, and they approached with caution, their hands resting on their service pistols. Safiya's flashlight sliced through the darkness, illuminating old oil drums and discarded factory tools that bore witness to years of neglect. It swept over piles of discarded fabric and rusted machinery. A sudden movement in the shadows made them pause; a cat darted out, its eyes reflecting the light for a split second before disappearing into the night.

A rusted sign creaked as it swayed slightly in the gentle night breeze, its faded letters spelling out warnings of a guard dog that hadn't roamed these grounds in years.

They moved deeper into the mill, guided by faint sounds that grew increasingly distinct—a low sobbing, desperate and weak. In the beam of their flashlights, they found a young woman huddled against a wall, her presence marked by a small, flickering light from an old mobile phone lying beside her. Her clothes were torn, and her face was smeared with dirt and blood, barely visible in the dim light.

"Hello, can you hear me?" Safiya asked, her voice echoing slightly in the vast emptiness of the mill. The girl looked up, her eyes reflecting a mix of fear and relief. Around them, the subtle night sounds continued—a distant laugh, a dog barking, the watchman's steady snore cutting through the quiet as if to remind them of the life that persisted even in the darkest hours.

Imran was already on his radio, calling for an ambulance. "We need medical assistance at the old Shamsher mill. We have a critical situation."

As they waited for help to arrive, Safiya draped her own jacket over the girl's shoulders, trying to offer some comfort in the cold, unyielding night. The girl's lips moved, murmuring something inaudible, her eyes filled with fear and relief.

The relentless wail of the ambulance siren pierced the night as it sped through the deserted streets, the flashing lights casting eerie shadows on the walls of the dimly lit alleyways. Inside, the woman rescued lay on the stretcher, her body shivering sporadically beneath a stark white emergency blanket that seemed too thin to offer any real comfort. Her breathing was shallow, each breath a visible effort as the paramedics monitored her vitals with grim expressions.