A Late Night, an Email and a Solution

4 months earlier.

It was towards the end of Marinette's all-nighter, at 3:56, when the kwamii was first awakened. Marinette had been quietly working on her sewing machine, piecing together the Chloe's birthday present, an original MDC dress, when she heard the fateful ping from her laptop. Though she didn't think much of it at the time. Pausing her sewing for a moment, she glanced out of the corner of her eye at the glowing screen before carrying on as before. She could check it later, she thought.

However this sound woke Tikki. The small red kwamii yawned and stirred from her position on her bed. Her tired and bleary eyes blinked a couple of times as she readjusted to the light. Her antenna drooping, she lethargically hovered over to the computer to see just what had disturbed her.

If it was another Pintrest notification... To put it politely she'd be most annoyed. Marinette had told her she had muted it yesterday, so she had better pray to all things holy that she had done just that or the Kwamii would be giving her an earful!

 Luckily for Marinette it was not a Pintrest notification.

The kwamii turned her attention to her holder. The low steady thrum of the machine filled the room as the girl focused solely on the fabric in-front of her. Finally Tikki spoke.

"You should sleep."

"But I'm nearly finished." She replied, not looking up.

"You said that two hours ago." Tikki deadpanned

"Just one more row and then-" Marinette continued hopefully.

"You said that three hours ago!" she squeaked, fuming at the nerve the child had to try that on her!

The sewing stopped and she swivelled her chair around to face the Kwamii. 

"Hhahha... Did I?" she asked nervously.

"Yes, yes you did. Now, do you intend on sleeping?"

Marinette shook her head. "I want to but this is my only free night and I want to crack down on this."

"Fine finish it but don't go blaming me if you collapse tomorrow morning!" The kwamii warned, crossing her arms. "It's you're funeral." And with that she turned back around.

"Lol. Say something nice in the eulogy and don't forget the flowers!" She called out over her shoulder after Tikki's retreating figure. Then the sewing machine started up again.

Tikki shook her head at the comment. There was something wrong with her human, she thought. She seemed to be actively trying to kill herself. It made no sense. She had made it almost halfway back to her nest when the second ping from the laptop caught her attention.

"Marinette you have an email. You should probably check it."

"No one sends messages this late at night not even Penny or Chlo. It's probably just spam." she said brushing the comment aside.

"All the same, you never know."

"Fine. I'll check it once I'm done." Marinette grumbled.

"AND mute it!" Tikki added.

"Yes Tikki." Marinette sighed. There was just no arguing with the goddess of creation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

45 minutes later Tikki was awoken by a shriek. Her eyes shot open and locked onto Marinette standing frozen by the laptop.

"Marinette what is it?" The Kwamii asked concerned, flying frantically around the girl. All traces of exhaustion having abandoned her. 'What happened? Was there an akuma? Was she hurt?' Tikki's thoughts were racing as she waited for Marinette to respond.