Chapter 2: The Library

"As expected! The Ladyships are truly exquisite in these colors!" The seamstress exclaimed in glee as she gazed at the two younger Landerborne ladies as they tried out the custom dresses that took the seamstress about two months each, to make.

As politics and history are usually aligned, Frieda became deeply interested in the history of the western world in her previous life--- or the life she thought she had, as most ideology usually stemmed from that part of the world. During these times, she became acquainted with the sense of fashion in some of its eras.

From what she remembered, the dresses resemble the classic Elizabethan-era gowns of Medieval Europe. However, there are distinct features that encompass the taste of the modern era and its aesthetics, probably stemming from the author of the book's tastes.

"You are very kind," Frieda replied as she smiled in a reluctance of how to react to the seamstress's exaggeration in giving out compliments.

"Yes, milady! I heard you had previously caught the flu, so I was anxious about your well-being. I am glad that you recovered with no complications." The seamstress further said so Frieda thanked her one more time.

'The lady was such an angel... Too bad she got herself tied to the miserable fourth prince...' The seamstress thought to herself as she continued to smile at the young lady, who was now shifting her gaze back to her sister who was fitting another dress.

"You look beautiful in that dress, Seilah." Frieda complimented her half-sister to which the latter replied with a brief response. "You too," Seilah said, not even looking at her sister. Frieda was upset by the latter's indifference. Seilah has the same green eyes that the duke has, and the latter's insensitivity toward her mirrored their father's a lot.

The seamstress noticed the change in expression of Frieda and could not help but be annoyed by Seilah's response. "Not only was she an unrefined young lady, but she was also rude, even to her sister, who was praising her. The latter didn't even do anything deserving of such a rude response!" The seamstress thought even further.

. . .

~~ FRIEDA ~~

Later that night, Maria was brushing my hair. Suddenly, the thought of the engagement proposals I might receive in the ball's aftermath was truly bothersome.

Will the same result happen to me as what was foretold in my previous life?

The Fourth Prince Jaeger will be betrothed to me? Only for me to spiral out into madness because of jealousy over my half-sister and betrothed?

This is absolutely daunting. What shall I do if I end up like the Third Lady in the novel? Will I be killed as a criminal? A mad jealous murderer at that?

No. I won't give up this easily. I have to at least make sure of my survival in this life. I will do everything I can to not die, no matter the cost.

I suppose, I better learn more about this world so I can better prepare.

I realized that despite reaching the age of sixteen; I know nothing about the outside world. It may be from the shielding of the house to defend me from the corruption outside, but it could also be because of the belief in this world that women shouldn't concern themselves with academics, politics, and the economy. Instead, it is expected of us to learn domestic duties and marital responsibility. It may simply be deemed unnecessary for me to be educated about the dealings of men.

The world I saw beyond this world was truly mesmerizing. Although even with its flaws, women of those times are much more liberated without needing to ask approval from the men's view of right womanhood. I hope to see such a world as I have seen in that life. I hope to experience the same freedom that would have. Having myself learn History and Politics? It is truly magnificent; it is truly empowering.