Chapter 1- How it all started

I was lying in my bed listening to my parents arguing. To be honest, I don't really care about them fighting I just wish they would divorce already so I didn't have to wake up to yelling everyday. Selfish, aren't I? My 13th birthday was last week and let's just say it was the most awkward experience ever.

*flashback*

My parents had just finished arguing over god knows what. I walked down stairs to see the cake on the table but no one was there.

"Mom, dad! Come so we can eat the cake!"

They both walked in looking extremely frustrated. The tension was so uncomfortable.

"Is everything alright?" I asked.

"Yes sweetheart, everything is fine." My dad replied looking exhausted.

"Yes sweetheart, everything is fine." My mom mocked him.

"Alright let's just get this over with." I rolled my eyes. I just want to go back to my room.

"Ok let's just sing. 3, 2, 1."....

We finished singing and it was time to cut the cake.

"Charli, go wash your hands and get the cake knife from the kitchen please."

As I was walking to the kitchen I heard my parents arguing again but I just brushed it off. That was until I heard a weird noise and rushed back into the living room. There I saw my cake sliding off the wall onto the floor. My parents stood there looking guilty but I just scoffed and walked back to my room slamming the door shut.

*Flashback over*

Later that night my parents had said they wanted to talk to me. Fun! Note the sarcasm.

I walked out of my room and into the living room.

"Alright, what did you guys want."

"Ehm, well we- me and your father are getting a divorce."

They stood there waiting for a reaction from me. Probably thinking I was going to cry or something.

"Heh congratulations. It was about time."

They looked at me with a confused and shocked expression. It was an awkward silence until my dad broke it.

"You will be staying here with your mom. I found a place I'll be moving into tonight"

"Fine by me.."

I wasn't that mean so I walked up and hugged him.

"Bye dad, I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too sweetheart but don't worry, I'll visit you."

I pulled apart and walked back to my room.

1 month later.

My mom has been a wreck. She has been going to the bar almost every night and sometimes even brining random men home. Today was one of those nights. I was lying in bed reading Wattpad stories. I was starting to fall asleep until I heard banging on my door. I got up and opened it carelessly expecting my mom. I was wrong.

It was a tall man who looked much younger than my mother. I would say he was no older than 28. I could smell the tequila on him from a mile away. Before I could say anything he grabbed me by the neck and smooshed our mouths together. I did the first thing that came to mind and kicked my knee up to his balls.

"You bitch!"

Then I felt a sting on my cheek. This mother fucker slapped me. I ran to my mom who was washing up in the bathroom. I obviously told her everything because I wasn't scared of him. Soon enough my mom called the police and they showed up arresting my moms one night stand.

"YOU LITTLE WHORE! ILL GET YOU."

Those were his last words before I slammed the door on his face.

I turned back to my mom who looked guilty as ever.

"Charli, I am so sorry sweetheart." Then she did something she hasn't done in a long time. She hugged me.

"I promise I'll change. I'm so so sorry baby."

"It's fine mom, it wasn't your fault." Oh but it was..

"Don't worry sweetie, I'm going to change for you, I promise." I chose to believe her and give her a second chance. She was my mom after all.

3 weeks later.

My mom hasn't changed one bit. If anything she got worse. Last night she was drunk and we got into an argument when I mentioned her 'promise'. She told me I was being ungrateful and then she shoved me and walked out. I'm guessing she went to the bar and probably went home with some dude because she hasn't came back yet. I checked the time to see it was 11am and went down eat breakfast. Then I heard a knocking on the door. I expected it to be my mom coming home. Hungover most likely.

I was wrong.

I opened the door to see a police man and woman standing there.

"Are you the daughter of Jessica Gilbert?" The woman asked

"Yes. Why? What happened." I said. Im not going to lie I am very worried. Although we haven't been on best terms recently, she was still my mother and I love her.

"Your mother has been arrested for drug abuse and drunk driving. She was in accident. Everyone made it out alive but your mother is in the hospital. Once she is out she will be sent to jail."