Chapter 3- Winter break

I woke up at around 10am to do my morning routine. The boys had already gone to school but I didn't have to go because it was the last day before winter break starts so it was pretty pointless.

I got dressed in a brown crew neck and a cream colored turtleneck underneath. I worse some very loose mom jeans along with a belt. I also added a few rings, necklaces, and earrings. For my hair I just kept it down but wore a beanie to top off the look.

I made my way down to make some cereal but I was home alone since my parents told me they had to go their business.

When I got there I saw Elijah sitting on one a bar stool eat fruits while scrolling through his phone.

"I thought you were going to school?" I only wanted to make a conversation. Maybe then one of my stepbrothers will like me.

"And I thought my stepsister wouldn't be such a loser" he replied coldly. Not going to lie, that kind of hurt. I mean they don't know anything about me so why would he think I am a loser. I just shrugged it off not wanting to get beat up especially since we were home alone.

"I'm sick." He said. Ohhh so now he wants to give and actual answer. I wanted to rolled my eyes but instead I gave a small smile and nod.

I turned around to continue to make my cereal. After climbing on the counter to grab a bowl front the cabinet, I got down and turned around to see Elijah 2 inches away from me.

I jerked back on instinct and dropped the bowl onto the ground where it shattered into a million pieces.

"WHAT THE FUCK! WHY WOULD YOU SCARE ME LIKE THAT!" I shouted. I mean seriously! Is he insane?

"Meh, I just thought maybe you shouldn't eat breakfast. You know, your pretty fat." He said as  if he was helping me out by doing so.

I wanted to cry. 1. He scared me, 2. He won't let me eat, and 3. He called me fat.

Why does he have to be such a piece of shit.

"What'd you just call me?" He said.

Wait- I said that out loud? SHIT shit shit shit shit shit.

"Uhh- uhm- i- uh i-" I couldn't even form a sentence. Before I could spit out actual words, my head whipped to the side and my cheeck started stinging. He slapped my face. Hard.

"Clean this shit up, and don't bother making another one, I think you've ate enough for a life time."

My eyes started watering up but I quickly blinked back my tears. I didn't want him to see me weak. I started picking up the glass pieces of the bowl as he watched me in amusement. I feel hopeless. He's controlling me and there's nothing I can do.

I looked up and noticed he had his phone out. He was taking pictures of me. Oh god this is so embarrassing.

"You might wanna get that." He said.

I looked down to see my hand bleeding. I cut myself with the glass. I dropped all the pieces I picked up and ran to my room.

"HEY! Come back! You didn't finish cleaning bitch!" He shouted. I just ignored him and ran into my bathroom.

I quickly cleaned up the cut and rapped it. I knew how to do this only because it's not new. I do occasionally cut my wrists but I wouldn't say I'm addicted. I only do it when I feeling so numb to the point I get uncomfortable.

I was too scared to leave my room so instead I went on the balcony that was attached. It was snowing. I've always loved the snow and the cold didn't bother me much. I saw down on the balcony with my feet dangling down between the railings. I connected my AirPods and listened to Snowman by Sia. I started singing along quietly as tears fell down my face.

Elijah pov-

I felt kind of bad for Charli but my brothers were making me be an ass. I mean her mom got arrested and we were making it worse. They knew me and her were staying home alone so they told me what to do and made sure I sent them a picture since I'm the nice one they didn't want me to be lying.

I was heading to my room after cleaning up the broken glass and blood. My brothers told me to make sure she cleaned it but she already got hurt so I think that was enough. As I was walking past Charli's room I heard faint noises. Singing? Crying? Laughing? I couldn't tell so I went to see what the noise was. I went into her room but she wasn't there. I went to her balcony and there she was. Singing. Her voice was beautiful.

She was sitting off the edge with her feet dangling between the rails. Was she trying to die? That's so dangerous.

I stood there for while listening to her sing. Her voice was mesmerizing.

I took a step closer and her head shot back towards me. Her face was stained with dried tears and her checks were a bright red.

"Are you ok?" I asked.

"How long have you been standing there?" She replied.

"Not long, but seriously are you ok?" I was actually worried about her, I don't know why, I just was.

"Why would you care? Huh? Just leave me alone. I've had enough for today, please."
When she said that, I felt horrible. God, why do I need to be so sensitive?

"Ok ok I'm sorry. You know, you have a really nice voice."

"Why are you being nice? Is this some type of game? Just leave me alone."

"Ok, I'm sorry." And with that, I left.

Charli pov-

I don't understand. Earlier he was being the biggest dick and now he's asking if I'm ok and saying my voice is nice? I'm not going to trust him though. He's probably trying to fuck with my brain. Make me think he's nice and trust him then he ruins me.

I stayed where I was for a while until something hit me directly in my face. A snowball. I look down to see my stepbrothers laughing with there phones out taking pictures. I got up and walked back into my room.

After a while I got extremely hungry since I haven't eaten all day. I walked down to the dining room to see my dad, his wife, and my stepbrothers eating dinner. They didn't call me or put our my plate for me which was unusual.

"And she returns." My dad said annoyed.

Huh

"Damn I was hoping she wouldn't come back." Ashton muttered.

What?

"What do you mean?"

"Your stepbrothers told us about your little sneaking out."

"What are you talking about? I didn't sneak out."

"Mhm. Then explain the snow of your hair."

"I was sitting on my balcony."

"Now your lying?  Your grounded for sneaking out and lying, 2 weeks."

"Dad! What are you talking about I promise I was on my balcony!"

"OK THAT IS IT! Charli you are not coming to the ski lodge with us. We are leaving in a few days while you will stay here."

To be honest, having the whole house to myself doesn't seem so bad. Although, I really did want to go skiing because I never have tried it before.

"Fine." I said sternly then went back to my room.