1. Slight anomaly

"Radioactivity?" Seokjin asks while typing away on his computer.

"Safe levels," Jimin immediately responds from his own desk at the other side of the small room.

"Any magnetic distortions?"

"None."

"What about metallic disturbances?"

"None of those either."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

"Ask Hoseok to double check just in case."

Jimin sighs but unmutes his headset to speak to Hoseok in the testing room either way. Hoseok does an OK-sign from the other side of the glass and brings out the equipment once more.

"He says it's fine," Jimin reassures and Seokjin finally stops typing with a pleased smile.

"We've finally done it," he says and pushes his chair out from the table. The chair rolls for a bit before coming to a stop in front of those of us standing in the doorway. "The machine should be ready to go without any complications. If we can prove that it actually works, just imagine the scientific advances we can achieve! Any historical questions can be answered with ease! We can even go to the future to bring their technology back to 2018 for us to use."

"That is, if someone is willing to step into that thing," Yoongi interrupts. "We can't know for sure what kind of effects it can have on the human body, not to mention what the actual process of getting there would be like."

"Of course, which is why I'll be the one to test it," Seokjin says while standing up. He crosses his arms with a wide smile and he doesn't seem scared in the slightest.

There's no hiding the shocked faces on everyone upon hearing his words though. The handsome black haired man is the lead scientist here at the lab, and needless to say, if anything would happen to him we'd all be pretty screwed. What we're doing isn't exactly legal and would fall under the category of human experiments. It's only with Seokjin's protection that we've been able to get this far without any outsiders interfering. If he disappears, this place would get searched immediately and our sorry asses would get dragged straight to jail.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" I ask, gaining his attention at once. "Wouldn't it be better if someone else tried it first?"

"Who else but me would be willing?" he says with a snort. "This was all my idea to begin with, so it's only fair that I should be the guinea pig to test this monster out."

"No, Jungkook has a point," Yoongi says. "If you, hypothetically, were to disappear in that thing, none of us would have any idea how to bring you back. The best is if you stay here to keep everything under control."

Seokjin shakes his head.

"Again, who else would be willing to sacrifice themselves? I know the risks and I'm willing to take them for the sake of the greater good. Besides, I have faith in our work. There's no way it's going to fail us now. All the smaller tests have been successful."

"There's no telling if they actually went back in time or not though," Taehyung chimes in. He wipes hands free of some oil on his pants. He and Hoseok just arrived from the testing room to see what we're discussing. "The rat only disappeared and appeared again. We can't know if it worked the way it should and it's not like it can tell us what it saw either."

"But there's no denying it was the same rat. We set the machine to take it back to 1926 for one full day, and exactly one day later it appeared in the machine again. That to me is evidence that it's working."