Chapter Five

The Islanders were on the lawn in a big group.

"The air smells so good today, doesn't it? People create powerful memories through scents." Hannah said.

"Has anyone been smelling pineapple?" Noah asked.

Definitely, it's coming from Marisol. The pineapple smell is definitely gorgeous though.

"I've smelled coconut, personally." Rocco replied.

"It's gotta be someone's sun cream." Gary said.

That also makes sense. At least both smells are good, you've smelled much worse than coconut and pineapple even though together they wouldn't smell good.

"I smelled it in the dressing room earlier. I thought it was body spray. Did you smell it, Alecto?" Hannah asked.

"I think Hannah and Noah are right. It smelled like pineapple body spray to me." Alecto replied, she hadn't even had to think about that one.

"I thought so. I have a sparkly pineapple spray at home!" Hannah replied.

"I still think we have a little mystery on our hands." Marisol said.

Mist-ery! That would be a good pun.

"A coconut and pineapple mist-ery!" Bobby said. Alecto laughed, it appeared that Bobby had read her mind. There was only so much ignoring of puns and jokes she could do.

"By the way, do you say 'sun cream' or 'suntan lotion'?" Marisol asked. Sun cream for sure! It must be different in different regions or something.

"Sunblock?" Gary asked.

"Tanning oil is different from sun cream." Ibrahim said.

"Absolutely! You don't want to mix those up if you're ginger like me." Hannah replied. That's also the case if you're pale skinned and struggle to tan like you.

A familiar sound caught everyone's attention.

"Guys! I got a text! My first missive from our Island Overlords!" Hannah struck an elegant pose as she proudly recited the text.

"Islanders, it's time for 'Two Truths and a Lie! Each of you will list three facts about yourselves, with..." She was cut off in the middle of her sentence.

"And we have to guess which one's the lie, right?" Lottie finished.

Alecto raised her eyebrows.

That was rude! Poor Hannah.

Hannah didn't appear upset by the interruption as she continued.

"Yes! Hashtag, 'hidden depths', hashtag 'truths emerge'! I love that." Hannah said, a bright smile remained on her face.

"Oh no, I hate this game. I can never read people." Ibrahim said, looking miffed. He looked at Alecto, silently begging for help. She bit her lip, turning away from him and pretending to not notice his unease. She was far too competitive for her own good, so people who struggled with this kind of thing would become collateral damage for her.

Maybe you are a little bit cutthroat yourself then?

"Don't worry, Rahim. We'll figure it out." Hope said, surprising Alecto by agreeing to help him.

"I probably won't do very well either, Rahim. I only just met everyone." Priya said, trying to reassure him.

"Bet Hannah and Noah will know each other's answers." Gary said.

Yup, of all of us, they're definitely the closest couple.

"Hopefully." Noah said, looking worried.