Chapter Seven

"Are you sure, Princess?" Lance asked with a frown.

Rapunzel, Eugene, Lance, Kiera and Catalina were in the princess' room, discussing ideas about how to rescue Varian.

Rapunzel nodded.

"I've had two visions in a row. Something is definitely wrong. I can feel it."

"Gee, it's almost like V was kidnapped or something," Kiera said from where she sat on Rapunzel's bed.

"Because sarcasm will help our situation," Eugene shot back at the girl. "Blondie, I think we should at least check out Cassandra's base first. Your plan is great, don't get me wrong, but, as a master of breaking into buildings, I think we should try something a little stealthier."

Lance nodded in agreement.

"As a fellow master of breaking into buildings, I have to agree with Eugene. If we go by your plan, princess, we could just end up making things worse."

Rapunzel looked at the two and sighed defeatedly. They were right. The plan was too straight forward. Looking at it critically, it was simple and predictable at its core: distract and charge in. Cass would probably see it from a mile away.

"Alright," Rapunzel said as she put away the paper she'd jotted her idea down on. "Let's go to Cass' base. Meet here in an hour? That way it'll be late enough for it to not be suspicious that we're up but not so late that there's loads of people roaming in the castle."

They all agreed and left to prepare.

—————

Varian stared in amazement at the crystal that Eclipse had given him. It was perfect for their task.

"I don't understand how you managed to get such a..." He paused and looked at the girl. "This isn't stolen is it?" he asked skeptically.

Eclipse avoided his eyes and smiled nervously.

"I'm going to return it," she told him quietly.

Varian sighed. First food and now a crystal? This was starting to become a tad bothersome but he knew that both things that had been stolen were necessary. At least the crystal was returnable.

"Any minute now."

The alchemist lay the Demanitus Scroll out so that the back was facing up. He moved the crystal around until he found the best position for it then got Eclipse to hold it there. He then pulled out a pencil and piece of parchment so that he could write the incantation down. All he could do now was hope that he could write fast enough.

The sun began to peek over the mountains as the day began. A ray of light caught the crystal and spread so that the back of Demanitus Scroll momentarily became covered with symbols.

Varian wrote as fast as he could. If he missed the odd symbol he didn't really care. As long as he got most of it down he could fill the gaps in later.

The symbols began to fade and fade until they were gone.

Varian put down his pencil and massaged his hand which had started to hurt from how fast he'd written.

Eclipse put down the crystal and looked at the alchemist.

"So? Did you get it?" she asked hopefully.

Varian picked the piece of parchment back up and read it. He smiled.

"I got it," he told her, unable to hold back the triumph he felt welling up inside of him.

Eclipse grinned and clapped her hands together.

"Excellent! What does it say?"

Varian read it to himself.