Chapter Twelve

Rapunzel and co were trekking through the woods on their way back to Cassandra's fortress. Eugene, Lance, Kiera and Catalina each had a long, thick rope slung over their shoulders.

"You sure this rope will hold?" Catalina asked nervously.

Rapunzel smiled at her.

"Of course I'm sure. It's one of the strongest ropes in all of Corona and, hey, if it comes to it you could just go all werewolf and climb on up," the princess said with a laugh.

Catalina smiled back, though she was still doubtful.

A few minutes later, the group reached the fortress.

"So where should we start?" Kiera asked as she dropped her rope and looked up at the shadowy tower.

"Hmm," Rapunzel hummed. "Why don't we-"

She was cut off as the ground shook. It wasn't particularly violent shaking but it was enough to catch everyone by surprise.

"What in the world?" Eugene queried out loud as he tried not to fall over.

They all looked at the fortress and realised, with shock, that the shaking was from a doorway appearing.

"Cass?" Rapunzel muttered to herself.

And, sure enough, out of the doorway came Cassandra with a backpack over her shoulder and, trailing behind her, a nervous-looking alchemist.

"Varian!"

As soon as the tremors stopped, the princess made a run for Varian.

"Varian, I'm so happy to-"

She was stopped as Cassandra pulled out her sword and brandished it at her throat.

"Not another step, Rapunzel," she said in a low tone.

Rapunzel didn't move any closer. She eyed Cassandra warily before looking over at Varian who was, evidently, surprised to see her.

"Rapunzel?" he said quietly.

The princess smiled.

"Varian, I am so sorry it took us this long to get here but we're here now! We're going to help you, don't worr-"

"O-Oh I don't really need any help, princess," he told her with an awkward smile.

The group was dumbfounded. They'd spent a week trying to think of ways to save the boy just to be told he didn't need it?

"Varian," Eugene called to him. "Did you take one too many hits to the head? Cassandra literally kidnapped you!" he said with exasperation as he indicated the blue haired warrior.

"I've already apologised for that," Cassandra cut in. "And he's forgiven me."

They all looked to Varian who nodded in agreement with Cass' statement.

"Ok what kind of mind control have you got him under?!" Kiera asked as she death-glared Cass.

"There is no mind control," Varian said as he stepped forward. "Guys, I'm perfectly fine."

"That's just what a mind controlled person would say!" Lance said as he pulled out his sword.

Cassandra sighed. Were they really doing this?

Lance charged forward, his sword positioned in a way so that he could thrust at Cassandra's throat. Cassandra brought her own sword up, ready to defend. They were actually doing this.

"Varian," the warrior said quietly. "You and Eclipse should run. I'll catch up as soon as I take care of these clowns."

"But-" the alchemist started to protest.

"No! Just go! I will catch up to you."

Varian looked down at Eclipse who was nodding solemnly. They had to go.

He hitched his bag higher up his shoulders and he and Eclipse turned and started to run.

Rapunzel and her group watched with surprise as Varian ran.

"Y-You're just letting your prisoner escape?" Rapunzel asked incredulously.

Cassandra rolled her eyes and allowed Lance to retreat (she'd grabbed him while convincing Varian to leave) then looked at the others.

"He's not my prisoner - not anymore," she told them. "He's my friend. And a better friend than any of you ever were."

"What are you-" Rapunzel tried to ask but she was too slow. Cass re-sheathed her sword and began to run in the same direction as Varian and Eclipse had.

Rapunzel quickly grabbed her by the wrist with her hair.

"Where are you going?!" the princess yelled to her ex-best friend.

Cassandra pulled herself free.

"To look for the third power!" she yelled back with a devilish grin before turning and disappearing into the forest.

It was silent as everyone processed what they'd just heard.

"A third power?" Eugene finally questioned.

—————

Quirin came into the castle dining room and looked around at everyone as he tightly gripped the book under his arm.

The king and queen were sat at the ends of the table. Rapunzel and her friends were sat around the rest of the table. They were all looking at Quirin with expectant eyes.

"So, Rapunzel," Fredrick said. "Tell us what Cassandra said again."

"She didn't say much," the princess told her father as she leaned on the table. "She just mentioned something about going to find a third power."

"And, Quirin," Arianna said to the retired warrior. "You know something about this?"

Quirin nodded as he came over to the table. He placed down the book he'd been holding so protectively. It looked a bit like a journal or scrapbook.

"I think I have some idea as to what Cassandra was referencing," he said as he started flicking through pages of the book. He eventually stopped at a page and turned the book for everyone to see. "And it was something I'd hope I'd never hear about again."

They looked at the page. Eyes went wide. There were little, barely audible gasps of surprise.

On the page was a photo of Varian, probably no older than two or three, with dark blue hair that faded into a lighter blue. The streak in his hair was white and his eyes were an electric blue - similar to Cassandra's.

"He's so cute!" Rapunzel said as a smile spread across her face.

Quirin nodded and smiled sadly.

"Cute, yes, but also a little scary," he said solemnly. "This is Varian not long after he took on the third power."

They all looked at him.

"What do you mean?" Eugene asked.

Quirin sighed.

"How about I go from the beginning - the day it all started," he suggested.

Everyone nodded.

"Alright," the warrior told them. "Here's the tale..."