Chapter 2.1

Celaena was once again trying to impersonate a statue just outside the kitchen door.

She was absolutely filthy. She had opted to skip bathing between the morning training and studying in favor of trying to steal some food from the kitchen. In her anger at Arobynn's abrupt announcement that he was leaving, she had left dinner before squirreling away much food. Another reason to be annoyed with him.

Ever so slowly, Celaena shifted her weight towards the kitchen, peaking around the door frame. Zina, the human shaped boulder, was chopping fresh bacon off a chunk of smoked pig and... humming

If Celaena hadn't been immobile, she would have fallen over.

On the best of days Zina wore a permanent frown, handling food and knives with brutal efficiency. Celaena thought her eyes might fall out of her face as she watched Zina... glide around the kitchen with the corners of her mouth turn up slightly in which Celaena supposed must be a... smile.

Similarly, Freckles and Curls casually lounged at the large counter in the middle of the kitchen in companionable silence, occasionally supplying Zina with whatever food item, knife, or spice she needed.

Celaena had expected a change in their patterns with Arobynn's departure, but this was an extreme. Gone was the militaristic precision of each movement. A lightness, gentle with smooth, soft edges, suffused the kitchen.

Affixed to the doorframe in astonishment, Celaena barely registered Ben brushing past her with a sly wink.

"Zina!" Ben boomed, "How you keep a kitchen in this gods-forsaken outpost smelling so divine I'll never know!"

"Oh hush flattery will get you nowhere," Zina admonished, though Celaena could her shoulders draw back a bit in self-satisfaction. 

"Good thing I have my ruggedly handsome good looks to fall back on," Ben said, gently tugging Curls' hair as he sat next to her. Curls swatted his hand away playfully with a small smile and light blush. Zina snorted.

"Leave the help alone you oaf," she said with no real reprimand in her voice, setting down a plate impressively holding its own against the pile of eggs, bacon, rolls, and fruit bearing down on it. "Lucy stop drooling and help wash the dishes." Curls ducked her head as her light blush turned scarlet. She quickly pushed away from the table and hurried to collect the pots and pans Zina was finished with. Ben's shoulders shook with soft chuckles.

"And you can turn yourself right around to take bath because you won't be getting any food from here this morning, young miss. I could smell you from the hallway."

Celaena froze again, just three steps into the kitchen. She sniffed her shoulder, debating if Zina was bluffing. There was no way Zina could smell her through the bacon and eggs, was there?

"That's just me, Zina," Ben said through a mouthful of food, "I could wait to taste your cooking so I skipped washing up after morning training."

"Don't defend her, Mr. Ben," Zina said without turning away from the sink, "I know she's there and Mr. Hamel gave me strict instructions."

Celaena let out a frustrated breath through her teeth, then grumbled something almost indistinguishable.

"I heard that," Zina snapped, though with less bite than usual, "Scrub your filthy mouth when you wash up, too." 

Celaena struck out her tongue at Zina's back. As she turned to go, Ben started humming loudly. Celaena looked to him and he quickly tossed her a muffin from his plate. He sent her another wink as she caught it with wide eyes.

"Mr. Hamel--" Zina started.

"Isn't here," Ben finished. "You didn't give her any food, Zina. It's all my fault. He doesn't have to know." Zina frowned but let it drop. 

Celaena wasn't sure what to say, so she just nodded her thanks to Ben as she turned to wash up, and contemplate this new assassin in her life who flirted with servants and shared his food.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiiiii! Sorry it's late and short, but it was kinda crazy at work lately this is the whole opening scene of CHAPTER 2! Ha, I really wasn't sure if I'd stick it out longer enough to get to chapter 2 but here we are :) I'm off the new two weeks for holidays so hopefully I'll get some more story lined up. :) Enjoy!