Ch. 36 - The Calm

Meanwhile Earl was doing all he could to calm his neighbors and assure them the young witch meant no threat to them or the village. But in doing so the news of where she was being housed reached the assassins.

Mr. Daegon received a call from an unknown number and knew better than to send it to voicemail.

He eyed his wife across the room as he answered the number.

"Now is not a good time." He replied to the silence in a hushed tone.

"We have located the child." The anonymous shade said.

"Go on." The mayor spoke solemnly with a raised eyebrow.

"She is at the Faloris house." The voice continued.

"I'd rather this be handled discreetly, but take whatever measures are needed." Mr. Daegon spoke his voice void of emotion.

"We will see it done." They said before ending the interaction.

"Who was that my dear?" Mrs. Daegon asked, looking up from her reading.

"Just someone delivering a package to the front." Her husband replied, shrugging off her comment.

"You know I detest surprises." She rolled her eyes in a playful tone.

"I know my love, don't worry this is a good one." Her husband smiled slyly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm sorry I was out for so long." Alysa said after returning to her normal state.

"Normally I have better control over myself, the pain was just too much to bear and it sent me off the edge..." She said, looking off, rubbing her arms with her hands in unrest.

"Al you have nothing to apologize for." Jared reassured sitting on the edge of the bed facing Al.

"We all grieve in different ways, and you being magic and all, I mean one can expect a few curveballs." Rodney spoke candidly.

"Did I hurt anyone?" She frowned looking up in concern.

"No." Both Jared and Rodney said at the same time.

"Are - how can you be sure?" She asked, glancing between the two of them.

"I kept a careful eye on you, no one was injured I promise." Jared spoke softly, meeting Alysa's sorrowful gaze.

"Wha-what about Daryl? He always thought ... now that he knows ..." Alysa worried, her breath quickening.