chapter 1

"Hey you ready to go?"

Julie Molina. My best friend since forever. She's been going through a rough time, her mom passed a way almost a year ago, but somehow she still manages to put a smile on her face. Insanely talented by the way. I give a nod and shut my locker, following her outside. Im Riley by the way. Riley Green. 5'5, straight brown hair, basically as average as average can get. Hilarious.

"Soooo, did you do it?" "I tried, I really did! But it's just too hard," Julie says with a frown.

She's in the music program at school, but hasn't sang or played since her mom died.

"They kicked me out," she whispers.

"They what?"

"They kicked me out."

"Jules, they can't kick you out! You're amazing! I'll go talk to Mrs. Harrison right now I-" "Ry, it's okay, let's just go home."

The ten minute walk to the Molina household was quiet — me not knowing what to say, and Julie not wanting to say anything. We sit down at the table and Julie's dad comes in.

"Hey girls. I was just heading out to Carlos' soccer game. I've had shoots all day, I barely got a chance to eat." I smile at Mr. Molina as he goes on, "Oh! By the way I got an email today."

"I figured as much," Julie says. Probably about the music program, I think.

"My realtor friend said if we're serious about selling the house he can hook us up." "That's great Dad," Julie visibly sighs with relief." I was thinking if you're up for it, the two of you can go clean out Mom's studio?"

Even though she wasn't my actual mother, Mrs. Molina came very close to it. I miss her, but I can't imagine how hard it's been for Julie.

"Sure Dad, we'll go right now," she says. "You sure?" I ask. Julie nods and gets up, heading out to the studio. "I'll see you later Mr. Molina! Have fun at the game!"

I haven't been in the studio in so long. God, have I missed it. There's something about the atmosphere of it that's just so calming, and - I can't even describe it.

"I'll start down here, you take the loft," Julie says.

I climb up the ladder and see a bunch of random stuff, like drum sticks, clothes, instruments, and a Sunset Curve CD. Sunset Curve? I've never heard that name before.

"Hey Jules," I yell down. "Put this in the CD player!"

I toss down the CD and a rock song starts playing.

1, 2, 3!

Take off, last stop

countdown till we blast open the top

face first, full charge

electric hammer to the heart

"AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH"

What the? Why is there screaming over the song?

I spoke too soon.

Three guys appeared out of thin air and fell onto the floor below the loft.

I'm sorry did I hear that right?

Three guys just appeared.

Out of thin air.

"How'd we get back here?" the one with the long jacket asks.

The three make eye contact with Julie, who screams at the top of her lungs and runs out of the studio.

I climb down from the loft and ask, "I'm sorry what?"

"Who are you and what are you doing in our studio," long jacket asks.

"Your studio? This is my friend Julie's. She lives here."

"No look okay. The- the grand piano is new and... MY COUCH!" long jacket yells. Holy crap he talks a lot. "But that is definitely not my six string," he says confused.

"Maybe because it's not your studio," I say bluntly.

"Can you just give me a second?" he says.

I wait a few seconds as the three talk before the blonde one turns to me saying, "Why are you in our studio?"

"I already told you, this isn't your studio. And how did you even get here?"

"Clearly she's not understanding, she doesn't -" blonde says to himself. "Okay. We're just three ghosts who are really happy to be home. We appreciate the flowers and stuff, but this is our studio."

"Yeah, last night was supposed to be a really big night for us. It was gonna change everything," long jacket says.

"Pretty sure it did," blonde replies.

"We're in a band called Sunset Curve," long jacket says to me.

"Tell your friends," the one in the leather jacket adds.

I take out my phone and Google Sunset Curve. The only articles that pop up are from 1995, all pretty much saying "Tragic! Sunset Curve Dies Hours Before Orpheum Performance."

Wait. 1995. That's 25 years ago.

"You guys did die, but not last night," I say. "25 years ago?"

"What? That's impossible," leather jacket says, "After we floated out of the ambulance all we did was sit in that dark room where Alex cried."

"But that was only for like an hour," leather jacket says.

"I have been crying for 25 years HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE," blonde says.

"You're the emotional one," leather jacket says.

"I am NOT"

"Sorry for what happened to you guys but you can't stay here," Julie says as she enters the studio again.

Long jacket looks at me with pleading eyes.

"Sorry, she's the boss," I say.

"Riley let's go please," Julie says. I start to walk out and long jacket calls "Can we at least get your names?"

"Riley," I smile at them sweetly.

"It's Julie," she says harshly.

"Cool! I- I'm Luke," long jacket says.

"Reggie, hi I'm Reggie," leather jacket says.

"Alex," blonde says.

"Ba Da!" Luke says. He's kinda cute. Let me take that back — very cute.

"Okay?" Julie says and walks out.

"It was nice meeting you guys." I shoot them an apologetic look and walk out.

Once we're outside, I say to Julie, "It's getting late so I gotta get going. I'll see you tomorrow okay?"

"Yeah of course, night Riley."

I give her a quick hug and start walking home, with one thought on my mind.

Holy shit. Ghosts??