chapter 3

"Anybody home?" I yell as I open the front door to my house. No reply, thank God. 

I run upstairs to my room and take out my guitar. Only Julie knew that I played. My Dad hates music, so they only time I get to play is when he isn't home. I have no clue what my mom actually thinks, she's too scared of my dad so she just goes along with everything he says. 

I take a deep breath and start to play.

I've been holding my breath

I've been counting to ten

Over something you said

I've been holding back tears

While you're throwing back beers

I'm alone in bed

You know I, I

I'm afraid of change

Guess that's why 

We stay they same 

So tell me to leave

I'll pack my bags

Get on the road

Find someone that loves you

Better than I do

Darling I know

Cause you remind me everyday

I'm not enough but I still stay

Feels like a - 

There's aggressive knocking at my door. Shit. 

"Riley open the damn door right now." Shit, shit, shit.

I turn the knob shakily, opening the door to reveal my angry father. 

"Dad, I'm sorry. I didn't think anyone was home and I-"

"Where'd that guitar come from. Don't bullshit me where'd that guitar come from." he says angrily. 

"I bought it last year, with the money I saved up." It comes out as a whisper. 

"Let me see it." 

I hand him my guitar with shaky hands. 

He takes it, and smashes it against the wall. 

"DAD NO! STOP!" I yell, tears forming in my eyes. 

"I told you not to fucking lie to me."

"Please, no" I sob. 

He drops the broken guitar and walks out. All I can do is cry as my heart broke with it.

I run downstairs and out the front door, straight to Julie's house. 

I walk into the studio, with tears still in my eyes. "Julie?" I call out.  A sound comes from the loft, and Luke's head pops up from the floor.  

"Not Julie, just me." he says as he poofs down in front of me. "Everyone else is out."

"Oh okay. I'm sorry to bother you, I'll just go." I say quietly and turn around. "Hey, hey what's wrong?" he asks, concern in his voice. Dammit. At his words I start crying again, but don't turn back around.

"Riley, what's wrong?" He appears in front of me and sees the tears streaking down my face. 

"I can't" I sob "He-" 

"He, who's he?" Luke asks, growing more and more concerned by the second. "My dad, he- he smashed my guitar," I manage to choke out. "Riley, I am so so sorry," he says sadly. 

"He hates  music. And I thought I could get by with playing when he's not home, but I guess he got home early and he caught me. It was all I had" I sob. 

Luke takes a step forward. "Riley..." His hands move up towards my face, and he cups my cheeks. I feel his guitar calloused fingers and lean into his touch. 

His touch. 

His touch? 

I stop crying and look up at Luke, who seems to realize it too. "How- how can I touch you?" he says. "I don't know," I say quietly, placing my hands on his that still hold my face. "Doesn't matter, c'mere" he says as he pulls me into a hug. 

Overwhelmed, I start to cry again, my small form shaking in his embrace. "Shhh, I got you," he soothes. "Don't let go," I whisper. "Not a chance," he replies, hugging me tighter.

We stay like that for a while, and Luke brings me over to the couch. He puts his arm around me as I lean my head on his shoulder. 

"My parents didn't approve of my music either," he says quietly. I look up at him as he continues. "They didn't want their 17 year old in a rock band, and tried to get me to stop. It turned into fights, arguments, constant screaming and yelling. But music was my life. So, I ran out. Then I died."

"I'm so sorry Luke." "Don't be, I'm alright now."

We sit in a comfortable silence, and eventually I doze off, Luke's arms still around me. 

Luke's POV:

I see Riley fall asleep, my arms still around her. I can't help but feel terrible. I know what's she's going through, I know her pain. It sucks. 

As much as I loved my parents, I hated them for what they did. Why couldn't they just accept my dreams? Music isn't just a part of me. It is me. They couldn't just suck it up and deal with that. And it hurt like hell. 

I look back down at Riley and take everything in. They way her hair falls on her face, her steady breathing, the peaceful look on her face, the tear stains that still linger. I can't help but think how beautiful she is. With that thought, I close my eyes and drift off to sleep.

Riley's POV:

"WHAT THE HELL?" I hear Julie scream. Luke and I immediately jump, woken up from our nap. 

"Julie, what's wrong?" I ask, seeing the shocked looks on her, Reggie, and Alex's faces.

"What's wrong?" Alex says exasperated. "You and Lukie poo over here were just cuddling!"

"So?" Luke asks, confused.

"So, what do you mean so," Alex scoffs. "Luke, YOU'RE A GHOST" he yells. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –  -

Hoped you like it!