Chapter 5: Rivendell pt 1

Raven PoV

As soon as Radagast took off we ran the other way. I sprinted in the front with Kila and Scottie at my side, followed by Fili and Kili, then Bomber and Dwalin, then the others and Thorin quickly catching up to us. We ran until we reached a rock and Ori almost ran past me into the clearing. "Ori no!" I said before pulling him back. We looked and saw Radagast quickly leading them away. I was about to sigh in relief...only for my heart to stop for a moment when we heard a warg growl above us. I looked at my father who nodded to Kili. Kili then jumped out and quickly shot the Orc and warg. Kili and I then ran out and finished them off. "Where to now?" I asked before no answer and simply running again. We ran and ran until we realized that the Orc pack had found us. "Oh crap..." Kili muttered pulling out her bow. I grabbed my sword as the orcs started surrounding us. "Kila! Kili! Shoot them!" Thorin yelled as he killed a warg that jumped at him. I turned and swung my sword decapitating orcs left and right. "Where's Gandalf?!" Dori yelled. "He's abandoned us!" Dwalin yelled. "What?!" Kila asked shooting arrow after arrow. I backed up ending up back to back with Fili. "Where did he go?!" I asked. "I have absolutely *slices Orc in half* idea in the slightest!" He said. "This way you fools!" We all heard. We saw Gandalf standing at the entrance to a cave. "Raven! Go!" Thorn yelled. I nodded and ran towards the cave. I stopped and let the other dwarves go down before me. I watched Thorin cut down orcs and wargs. "Kila! Scottie! Go!" Thorin yelled. My two friends then ran at me. "What about Thorin??!" I asked slightly panicked that he wasn't coming yet. "He'll be fine! DOWN THE HATCH!" Kila yelled as she tackled me into the cave, followed by Scottie. We tumbled down and Thorin followed. I got up and held my head then felt blood. "Ow," I muttered covering my head. "Raven your bleeding!" Scottie said. "What?" Thorin asked immediately. "It's nothing, just bumped my head on the ground is all." I said with a nervous laugh. I looked and saw Dwalin shaking his head. He took some bandages out of Gloin's bag then tossed it to me. "Oh, thanks." He nodded then went off. "Here I'll wrap it." Scottie said. I let her quickly wrap it before Dwalin spoke. "I can't see where this path leads! Do we follow it or no?" He asked. "Follow it of course!!" Bofur yelled. Kila wrapped an arm around my waist holding me up incase I get dizzy and fall while Scottie held my hand. We walked down an extremely narrow path between rocks and finally say light coming. We all got out and stopped. "Rivendell." Bilbo said behind us. "This was your plan all along?" I heard Thorin speak, we turned and looked at him. "To seek refuge with our enemy?" He asked, obviously angry. "You have no enemies here Thorin Oakenshield, the only ill will you bare is that you bring upon your self." Gandalf remarks. "think the Elves will give our quest their blessing? They will try to stop us." Thorin said. "Of course they will," Scottie said stepping in. Thorin looked at her in disbelief. "However you have questions that need to be answered. If we are to be successful, this will need to be handled with tact and respect and no small degree of charm." She said. Gandalf nodded, "which is why you will leave the talking to me." Gandalf said before starting to walk. Thorin gave Scottie and odd looks. "I'm smarter than I look, just saying." She said before coming to my side again as we started to walk.

"Whoa..." I whispered as we looked at the beautiful valley. "Never ceases to take my breath away." Kila said with a grin. "You've been here before?" I asked. Kila nodded, "yeah, once, I've been to Mirkwood more." I nodded, "Oh yeah I knew about that." I said. "Yeah but I haven't been there since." She said. "What business did you have in Mirkwood?" Thorin asked. "Oh...um, a funeral." She said looking away. My dad didn't say a word, only looked slightly shocked. "I'm sorry for your loss." He said. Kila nodded then fixed her support on me. "Well, let's go!" Kila said with a smile.

We all walked across a beautifully structured bridge. "This place is stunning..." Scottie said with an awestruck look. Kila nudged me then pointed to two Elven men looking at us. "So are they!" She said with a wink. I laughed and looked at her, "well....your definable not wrong!" I said only to get a light smack to the back of the head. I turned and saw my father who shook his head. I panicked and giggled looking back forward. "Mithrandir!" An elf man said coming down some stairs. "Ah, Lindir!" Gandalf said with a smile. "Stay sharp." I heard Thorin say to Dwalin behind me. I looked at the elf talking to Gandalf. Though didn't quite understand what they where saying....partly because I wasn't bothering to try. "I need to speak with Lord Elrond." I listened to Gandalf say. Suddenly Kila poked my shoulder. "Hey doesn't Winter live in Rivendell?" She asked. I grinned at the name, "wouldn't you be the one that knew that?" I asked she shrugged. "Why are you taking about seasons at a time like this?!" Thorin snapped at me. "No, I'll explain after this." I said turning and looking back at Gandalf. Suddenly we heard the horns once again before a line of even soldiers began filing in and circling us. Scottie, Kila and I didn't draw our weapons because we where half elf and knew they meant no harm...my father and the others did not. He tried to pull me back but I wiggled out of his grasp. "They aren't going to hurt us!" I said. We then noticed an elf man with long brown hair look down at him from his horse. "Gandalf." He said with a small grin. I saw Gandalf bow slightly, "Lord Elrond, Mellonnen! Mo evínedh? (My friend, where have you need?)" Gandalf said, I knew the gist of what he was saying. "Farannem 'lamhoth i udul o charad. Dagannem rim na Iant Vedui. (We've been hunting a pack of Orcs that came up from the South. We slew a number near the Hidden Pass.)" Lord Elrond replied. He dismounted from his horse and hugged Gandalf. "Strange for Orcs to come so close to our borders. Something, or someone, has drawn them near." He said. "That may have been us..." Gandalf said. Lord Elrond nodded and looked at Thorin who stepped around and in front of me. "Welcome Thorin, son of Thrain." He said. "I do not believe we have met." Thorin replied. "You have your grandfather's bearing. I knew Thror when he ruled under the Mountain" Elrond said. "Indeed; he made no mention of you." Thorin replied. I rolled my eyes at my fathers rude remark...though kept my mouth shut. " Nartho i noer, toltho i viruvor. Boe i annam vann a nethail vin. ((Light the fires, bring forth the wine. We must feed our guests.))" Elrond said. Suddenly Gloin spoke up. "What's he saying?! Does he offer us insult!" Gloin yelled. "Uh no, I'm pretty sure he's offering us food." Kila said. I nodded. "Well...in that case lead on." Gloin said. I giggled along with Scottie as we followed the elven man.

Thorin POV

I sat at a separate table from my company...and so called daughter. I watched her movements, her smile and the way her eyes creased with she grinned...just like her mother. I then noticed them looking at Bilbo then back into their little huddle. I shook my head and dismissed it as Lord Elrond sat down with my sword in his hands. "This is Orcrist, the Goblin Cleaver. A famous blade, forged by the High Elves of the West, my kin. May it serve you well." He said handing it back to me. I nodded to him. He then took Gandalf's. "And this is Glamdring, the Foe-hammer, sword of the King of Gondolin. These swords were made for the goblin wars of the First Age..." He said handing it back. "How did you come by these?" He asked. "We found them in a troll hoard on the Great East Road, shortly before we were ambushed by orcs." Gandalf said. "And what were you doing on the Great East Road?" I looked at him then to Gandalf, though nether of us answered.

Later in the night, we walked with Lord Elrond, following him to an outdoor room, accompanied by a few water falls. I looked down at Raven who I had decided to have join me, along with Bilbo and Balin. I looked back at Lord Elrond who was holding out his hand. "Our buisness is no concern of elves." I said. "For goodness sake, Thorin, show him the map!" Gandalf said. "It is the legacy of my people; it is mine to protect, as are its secrets." I said. "Save me from the stubbornness of Dwarves. Your pride will be your downfall. You stand here in the presence of one of the few in Middle-earth who can read that map. Show it to Lord Elrond." Gandalf said. I glared at the elf and sighed before handing it to him. "Thorin no!!" Balin yelled. "Erebor? What is your interest in this map?" He asked looking at me. "It's mainly academic. As you know, this sort of artifact sometimes contains hidden text. You still read Ancient Dwarvish, do you not?" Gandalf said cutting me off before I could speak. We watched as glowing letters began to appear. "What are those?" I heard Raven ask behind me, trying to look over my shoulder...failing miserably. Before I could answer Gandalf spoke up, " Moon runes, of course. An easy thing to miss." Gandalf said. "Never heard of them." Raven whispered. "Well in this case, that is true; moon runes can only be read by the light of a moon of the same shape and season as the day on which they were written." Elrond said. "Can you read them?" I asked. "These runes were written on a Midsummer's Eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly two hundred years ago. It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you, Thorin Oakenshield; the same moon shines upon us tonight." Elrond said grinning before looking back to the map. "Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole." He said. "Durin's day?" Bilbo asked. "It's the start of the dwarves' new year, when the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together!" Raven said smiling. I somewhat felt pride that she knew that. "This is ill news. Summer is passing. Durin's Day will soon be upon us." I said looking back at Elrond. "We still have time." Balin said. "Time? Time for what?" Bilbo asked. I heard Raven sigh, "To find the entrance. We have to be standing at exactly the right spot at exactly the right time. Then, and only then, can the door be opened." Raven said. I looked back at her surprised, "I've been listening to Balin talk about it." She simply said. I nodded and turned back. "So this is your purpose? To enter the mountain?" Lord Elrond asked. "What of it?" I asked. "There is some who would not deem it wise." Lord Elrond said. I glared and snatched the map back. "What do you mean?" Gandalf asked. "You are not the only guardian to stand watch over Middle-earth." He said. Raven leaned towards me, "middle earth has guardians?" She asked. "I guess." I replied not taking my sight off Lord Elrond.