9. Finally back at Hogwarts

(Y/N)'s POV

Since first years had to take the journey to the castle by boat that meant (Y/N) and Hermione had to separate from Luna and Ginny. They reluctantly said goodbye and that they would see the two again at the Sorting.

Every other year was lead to a long line of carriages that people began to pile into. As they approached the carriages (Y/N) noticed the odd creatures that were at the front of every carriage.

They vaguely resembled horses but they were black and oddly skeletal. As (Y/N) approached one of these horses, he extended his hand out and touched its snout. (Y/N) stoked the creatures skin and could feel it's flesh and the bone on it. He looked towards to the long wings of the creature and (Y/N) thought about a magical horse and magical bat crops breed but the thought seemed impossible.

Walking around to the front of the creature, (Y/N) admired its milky white eyes as he began to pet its snout. Despite the creature's sinister appearance, (Y/N) admired it with all his attention and was entranced by the odd beauty of it.

"(Y/N) what are you doing?" Hermione called out to him with a look you'd give a deranged person.

"Just petting the weird horse that must pull these carriages."

For some odd reason Hermione looked at him as if he was even more deranged than she thought and once again called out. "(Y/N) there's nothing there."

(Y/N) looked to Hermione and then back to the creature. (Y/N) moved his hand further down the creatures snout and hovered it over its nostrils. Sure enough (Y/N) could feel the breath of the creature so it couldn't be a figure of his imagination.

(Y/N) looked back to Hermione and went to speak but he decided against it and he climbed into the carriage silently. He looked out the window towards the castle and just looked back to Hermione. She looked at him with a skeptical look, she did give (Y/N) an uneasy smile but (Y/N) just looked back out the window.

Why could I see it but not Hermione? More importantly what exactly is it?

...

The Great Hall was full of chatter as conversations took place. (Y/N) made small talk with people in house and caught back up with Neville, Dean and Seamus but he wasn't really invested in all the conversation.

Throughout all of them his mind had been focused on two things. The odd creature and the fact both Harry and Ron still weren't anywhere to be seen.

Suddenly the doors of the Great Hall burst open and in walked Professor McGonagall and the group of first years following close behind them. They approached the stool and Sorting Hat and McGonagall explained to them what they were to do.

As it would every year, the Sorting Hat's brim opened and it began its song that (Y/N) very quickly tuned out. Don't think he should pursue a career in singing. His voice sounds like claws running down a chalkboard.

However as (Y/N) tuned out the song he diverted his attention to the staff table. All the other teachers were present and each were wearing at least some sort of colour but there was one that stood out like a sore thumb.

Despite wearing the same blue robes he had worn in Flourish and Blotts, Gilderoy Lockhart seemed to be the brightest and vibrant of all the teachers. Of course being who he is, he managed to gain the attention of most students in the Hall so he was smiling widely.

He looked around the room but as his eyes fell on the Gryffindor table, both his and (Y/N)'s eyes met. Lockhart's eyes widened and his face turned into one of fright, (Y/N)'s face on the other hand took on an unusual scowl as he stared Lockhart down with (what other people would likely see as) murderous intent.