Chapter One (Zanie's POV)

"My ears are bleeding." I groaned, tossing my bag onto the catch-all table. "And I'm frozen solid."

"Wow, you're in a charming mood right now." Ace disappeared into his room for a moment before reappearing as he crossed the room. "You signed up for it."

"I was manipulated."

"Or drunk."

"Or I've just officially snapped."

"Therapy for a Christmas Present?" Ace offered, pulling out a box of tea from the cabinet.

"You jest?" I groaned, propping my hands on my hips, I scanned the apartment. "Disgusting."

"You're current emotion or the state of your room?"

Shooting him a glare, I flicked a glass snow globe sitting on the table beside my bag. "What is it with people and their ridiculous desire to be festive about a commercial holiday?"

"She says after she refused to stop wearing Halloween t-shirts a month after Halloween."

"At least on Halloween, you get to wear cute outfits."

"Oh, sure, as opposed to the ugly ones you wear on Christmas."

"Ugly sweaters and Pajamas...."

"Those terrible Santa hats that a fashion faux pas." Ace rolled his eyes. "C'mon Zane, what's causing this aggression toward this poor holiday?"

"I don't have an aggression toward it." I quipped, retrieving my phone from my back pocket. I skimmed the series of missed calls and emails from fairly frequent contacts on my phone.

"Well, it looked like you were assaulting that poor snow globe." Ace paused, adjusting his glasses; he stepped around the counter back over to where I was standing. "Where did that come from anyway?"

"It's probably a family heirloom of Mars." Rolling my eyes, I started for my room. "I'm going deer hunting."

"Wow, that type of enthusiasm for the holiday season belongs on the Hallmark channel-hey Zane, I don't think this came from Mars."

"Big deal, it got here somehow."

"That the point-" Ace sounded hesitant as I pushed open my bedroom door, getting a gust of cold air coming from an open window as I did. Leaning against the door frame, I casually examined the room for a second. Nothing appeared out of the ordinary, except the wooden chair that sat beside my bed was moved ever so slightly. "Hey Zane, this Snow Globe-"

Stooping down in front of my bed, I grabbed ahold of a shoe, pulling on it; a body slid out-followed by some flailing on their end. Grimacing, I grabbed ahold of an arm, my mind registering that it was a kid no more than thirteen years old.

"I'll tell the police you kidnapped me." The kid quipped defensively, cutting off any words I was prepared to say.

"There are camera's in the hallway of this apartment-and on the building across the street; you want to try that one again?"

"What-" Ace appeared behind me, his hand resting on his holster. "Why is there a kid in the apartment?"

The kid tried to wrench out of my grasp, his eyes filled with fury.

"What's with the snow globe?" Tightening my grasp on his arm, I slipped my phone back into my pocket.

"I just-"

"What happens if I break it?" I raised my chin some, watching as his expression turned to a frazzled one.

"N-"