Enjoying the chase - Chapter 4

Copyright © 2011 Kirsty Moseley

Chapter 4

The week passed quickly, Kurt was placed on office duties as punishment for his little stunt that he pulled at the raid on Monday so that made me feel slightly better even though he would be back in the field in two weeks. There wasn't really much they could do about him, they had put a warning on his file and if it happened again then he would be transferred to a less field based team. Personally I wanted him gone, the whole team didn't like him, he was a loose cannon and all week he'd refused to even think he had done anything wrong. He saw me killing that guy as part of the job, nothing out of the ordinary. That was lucky for him I guess that he could see human life that way, in a way I wish I could just see it like that; just one of those things that happen on the job, but it had never been that way for me.

Today was Saturday, Seth's twenty sixth birthday so we were all heading out tonight to celebrate and get him wasted. I was actually looking forward to it, Ashton was still coming out even though Cameron had been born. He didn't want to, he'd cancelled but Anna had called me today in secret to tell me he was going and I was to come and pick him up. I wasn't looking forward to dragging his ass out of their apartment but Anna had insisted that he needed a night out with the boys.

I pulled up in one of their allocated spaces and met the guy who was replacing Ashton, he was waiting at the door of the building just like Anna had arranged. I smiled, "Hey, you ready? I might need your help to get him in the car."

He laughed and ran a hand through his hair looking a little nervous, I'd met him a couple of times before but I couldn't remember his name. "Yeah, does he not know he's going?" he asked wincing slightly.

I shrugged, "Not unless Anna's told him since this morning." She had said she wanted me there when she told him so he couldn't back out. She'd arranged everything in secret so he had no excuse not to go.

I scanned my key card that they gave me allowing us into the building, and then went over to the elevator punching in the code for their apartment so that we could get to their floor. They had so much security it was a little crazy, I can understand why, but it still amazed me every time. Probably because I never really saw Anna as the President's daughter, she has and would always be just my best friends girl.

I called Ashton when we were in the elevator so he wouldn't be all defensive when I knocked on the door. "Hey bud, I'm now in the elevator." I chirped grinning as he answered his cell.

"Yeah? I guess we'd better get some clothes on then huh?" he joked laughing. I heard Anna giggle in the background so I rolled my eyes, I didn't need to hear about their sex life at all. Especially since I hadn't gotten any for almost a week, but that would change tonight thankfully. I'd been too busy working all week and the little thing with the blonde in the bar had knocked me a little. I really needed to start making an effort to remember the girls, at least their faces so I would know not to approach one I'd already been with!

"Yeah, make your girl put on something sexy for me." I joked laughing.

"I'll tell her." Ashton laughed as he disconnected the call.

When we got to their apartment door Ashton opened it before we even knocked. He grinned happily before his eyes flicked over my shoulder to the secret service agent. His smile fell from his face and he shook his head apologetically. "Sorry Bradley I'm not going tonight, I thought I'd cancelled you. Sorry to waste your time but you can have the night off now I guess."