08. counterproductivity

-

◜                                                  ◝08

08. counterproductivity
◟                                                  ◞

˖⁺ 🕷⋆ ୭ ⛓ .⋆。⋆༶⋆˙⊹

LORELAI WASN'T REALLY EXPECTING to wake up to twenty-eight missed messages, eight missed phone calls, and the ringer on her phone going off again as Jack called her. Her hand lazily reached up to her face and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes, her head lulling to the side to read the clock on her bedside table.

Her hand fumbled to grab her phone from where it was plugged in, and the cord yanked out of it as she raised it to her ear, pressing accept as she did so.

"Hello?" She asked, the croak in the beginning and the rasp in her voice giving away that she had only just barely woken up.

"Did you hibernate or something?"

Lorelai groaned, the laughing tone in her Irish friend's voice driving shame into her heart. She hadn't slept well in days, and as a last resort she had taken one too many melatonin gummies the evening before and slept from ten in the evening to one in the afternoon. Fifteen whole hours. She had slept for fifteen hours without waking up once, but at least she didn't feel nearly as sleep deprived as she usually did.

"I hope you had a good reason to wake me up," Lorelai slurred.

Jack hummed a positive note. "Well, for starters, you should have a better sleeping schedule. It's way too late for you to be waking up. And, secondly, because you decided to hibernate, you missed some important stuff."

"What did I miss?"

"AOC wants to play Among Us with streamers, and you're invited," Jack explained.

Lorelai rubbed her temple with her free hand, wracking her brain for any information on an 'AOC'. "Uhm..., who is that?"

Jack chuckled. "Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez? You don't know who that is?"

"No, Jack, I don't," Lorelai replied, a little annoyed at Jack for not only waking her up but also for not filling her in on important information.

"Hey, calm down," Jack said softly. "She's an American politician."

"Like..., a good one?"

Jack nodded on the other side of the call. "Yeah, she's a good one. She wants to spread awareness about voting to younger people. We're playing Among Us with her tonight and she's gonna stream the whole thing."

"That's a pretty good idea," Lorelai replied. "Who all is playing?"

"There's a whole lineup," Jack said. Lorelai could hear him move around as he stated, "give me a second to find it."