sixteen | ❝rumours grow❞

the room of requirement felt different when it was empty compared to when the army was practising against rising threats or spending time together.

cho stood alone in the silence surrounded by the tall silver walls as she looked into the mirror ahead of her, the frame decorated with encouraging messages, newspaper cutouts with valuable information, and photos of those people were fighting for.

her dark eyes stayed trained on one photo in particular; a moving image of cedric diggory smiling in his triwizard tournament uniform. it was the only way cho could see him in motion, the only way she could be reminded of his face.

"are you alright?"

cho turned around to see harry walk up to her, the gryffindor giving her a small smile. "i was just in here to look for colin's camera but this seems slightly more important," he explained.

cho chuckled weakly and faced the mirror once again. "i'm managing," she replied, "i just wanted to see him again for a moment."

harry nodded, his eyes too fixated on the enchanted image of cedric.

"i miss him too," harry said, "i know the two of you were super close."

"yeah we were," cho replied, "but i always felt like part of his heart was never mine... if that makes sense? i just feel bad for missing him so badly sometimes."

potter's brows furrowed as he took in her words but once they sunk in he looked at her with a small frown.

"are you talking about-"

"i'm not mad at her or anything if that's what you think," cho quickly defended, "i just- i don't know how she could be so close to him yet deal with his death so easily? i only knew cedric for a fraction of the time y/n knew him but i can't let him go..."

there was a silence after that, a moment of time to let both teens think before harry spoke up again.

"people deal with things in different ways," he started, "y/n might seem fine but there were times when she couldn't handle it. cho, you shouldn't compare yourself to others. you miss ced, keep on missing him for as long as you need."

the ravenclaw nodded as she hastily wiped her teary eyes and gave potter a tight smile.

"y/n's really lucky to have you," she sniffed, "i see how the two of you are together, i... i wish i had that you know?"

"yeah i do know," harry said.

"wait what?-"

"that came out wrong! i'm sorry," harry panicked, "i meant- shit... i meant i know how you feel about uhm..."

cho's cheeks flushed red, her hands covering her burning face embarrassed. "she doesn't know does she?"

"i don't know about what?"

the two turned to see you walk towards them with a frown. "please just answer the question, don't play with me right now-"

"it's nothing," harry answered, "areeee you okayyyyyyy?"

"nOooOoooo," you said, "draco's been talking shit and i need to get to the bottom of it right now before i mcfreaking lose it! what are you guys doing in here?"

"we were just talking," cho explained quietly.

"alone?"

"yeah."

"with each other?"

"yeah..."

"alone?"

with every question you stepped forward until you were face to face with a nervous cho, her back against the mirror as you rose a brow at her blabbering form.

"h-harry help," she squeaked.

your boyfriend rolled his eyes at your actions as he struggled to pull you away from cho. he eventually did and you shook yourself out of his grasp annoyed.

"chang, i want to trust you but malfoy is really fucking with my head right now so if you're trying to make a move on harry just tell me so we can get this over with-"

"noOooOooo, it's not like that!" cho said, "i don't know what lies he's been spreading but i can guarantee you nothing is going on between harry and i."

"well blaise apparently thinks otherwise-"

"oh, so you're listening to blaise now?" harry asked offended, "you don't trust me to talk to a friend for 10 minutes but you can trust the bullshit coming out of their mouths? are you serious right now, y/n?"

cho quickly realised it would be best to give you space, the girl sending a weak farewell as she scuttled out the room with her head down.

you watched her leave in silence feeling harry's eyes burn into your back. you faced him with a glare.

"what is it, potter?"

"you should apologise to cho!" he said, "you're not the only one having a hard time right now and interrogating her didn't do anything to help."

you crossed your arms and looked towards the mirror, your gaze unable to match his intense stare.

"why don't you go and help her then?"

there was no response from harry, his mouth opening for a moment before closing in defeat. the teen scoffed quietly and you watched him leave the room in the reflection of the glass.

it was only now, when you were left alone in the room of requirement, did the feelings of anger begin to subside. the red hot emotion slowly being replaced with guilt.

you looked at cedric's enchanted picture with a tired sigh, his printed eyes focused on you.

"shit."