Chapter 6

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

-Sucker Punch, the movie

After a few days, my dad is back in business. Ngayon yung araw ng meet-up ng Recaido Family at ang family namin. Ngayon daw ise-settle ang agreements tungkol sa marriage.

"Do you want to come with me or magda-drive ka na lang?" tanong ni Dad sa'kin while taking a bite of his salad.

"No Dad, I prefer to go there by my own," bulong ko habang kina-cut yung waffles ko.

"Arissa, it's great for you to reconsider your decision about the marriage. You're doing the company a great favor, darling." he wiped his mouth using the napkin.

"I didn't do it for the company. I just wanted to take the pressure off of you... and for the record, I want my bank accounts back." I arched my eyebrow while raising my head to look at his reaction.

"I figured you'd say that. I wasn't able to freeze your accounts back then so you don't have to worry about that." he stood up while placing his napkin beside his plate. "Hurry up. We're going to be late for the meeting."

"'Nak, may gusto ka bang dalhin sa com—" panimula ni Mom.

"I think I'll be fine."

"What's up with the two of you?" tanong ni Dad, obviously noticing the tension between us.

"We had a small argument when she came home," she said while smiling awkwardly.

I let out a sarcastic chuckle while raising my eyebrow at Mom's direction. "Small?"

"I'll go now. I don't want to turn this conversation into a hell of an argument. It might make Dad's condition all the worse," I said while leading myself out of the dining room. Dad also chuckled at my statement, probably oblivious of what had just occured the past few days. Huh, I guess Mom's not the honest one around here anymore.

The valet handed me my keys on my way out while flashing his signature smile. As soon as I stepped in the car, I opened my radio.

"The new successor of Recaido Industries was spotted at an undisclosed airport last Tuesday with the famous bachelorette and successor of MCC, Carlisle," panimula ng reporter.

"It appears that Mister Recaido was fetching Miss Carlisle from her flight. It has been rumored that the two had an intimate connection two years ago. Are they together to reconcile?"

I was jealous, but I don't know why. A part of me knew that the reporter was talking about James but I just can't accept that. He was sweet and kind to me... it's just a few days but I really thought it meant something to him. Then again, he's just my friend.

I started driving as soon as I realized that I was once again overthinking. Tobias is just my friend, and that's all he thinks of me... and I should do the same to him... even though he made me happy in different ways.

I have to live with the fact that he's just nice to me— to everybody, I guess. What do you call this attitude? Marupok? Maybe.

I have a history kung ang pinag-uusapan ay ang pagiging marupok. I just know how to appreciate the presence of people in my life. I know I may not show it often after nung nangyari kay Miguel at sa'kin, but I really do.

"He's a mere friend. He's a mere friend. He's. Just. A. Friend! Goddamn it!" I shout to myself. Bakit ba sobrang affected ako?

Nakakainis naman kasi 'to! I'm like a high school girl na nag-freak out dahil sa nakita ko yung crush ko na nag-update ng status na 'in a relationship'.