Pushing People Away

Chapter 10

The last class was hard but lunch would be even harder, I won't be saved by the teacher or the bell. I picked up my lunchbox and inspected the cafeteria, in the corner was an alone table. I made myself comfortable at the edge of the table and started opening my food.

After my incident with my mother's boyfriend, I started noticing people watching me, it didn't take me long to realize they were from the government. I forced myself not to feel emotion after that because who knows what would happen to my mother if they caught me using my powers. It's been years and I never see the government agents anymore but I'm still very careful.

"Dude are you alright? Aren said you were ignoring him." I almost jumped out of my seat, Nendo is one of the only people whose mind I can't read so he can sneak up on me. Knowing Nendo he wouldn't leave me alone unless I played my cards right. So I ignored him, it was hard he got up in my face and even yelled but I ignored him as best I could. As soon as I finished my food I got up and went to the restroom. This was hard but I'll get used to it eventually, I splashed my face with the cool water and headed off to my next class.

The school was finally over and I'd managed to avoid them quite easily but now came the hard part. I was tying my shoes when I felt someone approach behind me.

"Why are you avoiding me? Did I do something wrong?" I got up and walked out towards the school entrance. He followed me this time and I tried to keep walking but the pain in my chest forced me to turn around.

"For gods' sake why are you making this harder for yourself? Just leave already! Just stop following me! Can't you see I don't want to be around you!" Aren stopped dead in his tracks, his eyes were watering and I turned away. I never meant to be so mean but I know how to drive people away. There was a lump in my throat but I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and kept walking. I unlocked the door to my house and slammed it behind me. I pressed my back against the door and I slid down to the floor. I was tearing up but I couldn't cry, I didn't deserve to cry. So I wiped my tears and stood up to go take a shower.