CHAPTER 01

' INTRODUCTIONS '

When Atlas was younger she didn't have many friends, everyone at school thought she was a freak that had killed her mother

When Atlas was younger she didn't have many friends, everyone at school thought she was a freak that had killed her mother. So each night she went home, delicate tears rolling down her cheeks, and the first thing that she would always do is set up her chessboard and play a game against herself. Her need for chess progressed as soon, reading a chess book as her bedtime story was the only way to get her to fall asleep. That grew into her very own tradition.

That is why Atlas was sat in the plush bed in her hotel room with a chessboard placed carefully in front of her and an open chess book laid on her thigh - the book containing little illustrations and past notes she had made on different openings, practicing for her first competition in three years.

She picked up the small cup of tea that sat beside her and took a sip, the warmth traveling down her throat and the slight caffeine it contained helping to clear the sleepy haze her head was falling into. She sighed and slammed the book shut, here she was on Saturday night at 8:52 with nothing but objects to keep her company.

Atlas climbed clumsily out of bed and walked towards the wardrobe and picked up her sky blue polka dot dress. She walked into the bathroom - changed and applied a small amount of mascara and eyeliner, she also used a white liner on the corner of her eye to make them seem bigger and added a bold red lip to complete her look.

Grabbing her small purse containing essentials, a chess book, the two knights from her dad's chess set, a small sketchbook, a pencil, black pen, and some tissues - slipping some nice black heels onto her feet she walked out of the door, her stride confident and strong.

As she walked down the stairs towards the bar she caught sight of a handsome man surrounded by a group of at least 10 others, all watching him play out some moves onto a very beautiful chessboard.

Her steps faltered, it had been a while since she had seen someone talk about chess with the same light that she too held in her eyes when she conversed with anyone about the sport. The man happened to glance at her at that exact moment and his eyes lit up in awe, Atlas's steps had now completely stopped as she stared at the somewhat familiar man, searching her mind in hope of unearthing his identity. It was then she noticed that the group surrounding him was now starting to stare at her too, so she pushed any previous thoughts out of her head and shot a grin at the attractive man, restarting her journey to the bar.

She walked straight towards the bar and ordered a Mint Julep, the waiter placed the glass down and she handed him the money. Atlas took a sip and breathed in at the fresh taste of mint, glancing around the room once she opened her purse and grabbed her chess book. Opening it to where she left off she began her reading once more.