Chapter 2: Screaming to Death

Turns out, I was hit with a hot iron.  Obviously, by my mom.  She's just been so drunk lately, and I am the one who gets punished.  Lots of times, she beats me so hard that I can't go to school for weeks.  I know what she is doing is wrong, but I just can't get myself to turn her in.  Besides my five year old brother, all I have is her, and even if she is cruel, I cannot allow myself to let her go.  And I can't even think of how my little brother would act if they were seperated.  So, I just take everything she deals to me.  Even if the pain is excruitiating. 

Ughhh, my face hurts so bad.  I go to grab some warm washrags and aloe, but run into Tommy.

"Hey, why is your face so red like that?" he questioned.

"No fucking reason twirp.  Just get out of my face!  Go do what fucking little brothers like you are supposed to do!"  I screeched.  Right as the words left my mouth, I regretted them.  Tommy didn't just cry like a normal kid would do.  First, his eyes glistened with tears.  Then his lip trembled and curled.  For the big finale, his mouth opened so wide it looked like it would come of the hinges.  And he wailed.  Louder than a horror movie scream.  Louder than a fire siren.  Louder than anything I have ever heard.

"Tommy, please honey.  I didn't mean it.  Please stop now."  My voice was drowned out. 

"Please please please, it is okay.  I'm sorry!" ----and again, I was not heard.

"Tommy, please shut your fucking trap before I slam it together so hard that you will never be able to eat again!"  It took every ounce of my voice and strength to overpower him.

SILENCE

Finally, I had shut him up.  But even worse, he flopped down and twitched.  His eyes rolled back and his tongue lolled.

"Mom, someone, help me!"  Then I remembered, she was out again.

I turned back towards Tommy.  His head shook furiously, and then he went limp.  His eyes rapidly shut.  He wouldn't move. 

"Tommy, tommy honey, please wake up now.  You are okay, just open your eyes for me now," I pleaded.  "Tommy, I'll will go to the store and get you a surprise." 

SILENCE

"Tommy!"  I shook him violently.  Then it dawned on me.  He wasn't okay, and he may never be.