V1 Prologue: The Structure of Japanese Society

AN: Found it hilarious that I got so many responses so quick.

Horikita's POV:

All eyes were on me as I began to read from the top of the page.

The structure of Japanese Society

What an odd title. It seemingly had nothing to do with the situation beneath the classes or Ayanokouji's life. I could tell I wasn't the only one puzzled by this as I glanced around the room.

"Eh..?" Kushida and several others spoke at the same time.

It was a natural reaction.

 However in the midst of this title's meaning if you look carefully, there was a link. 

Yes, but what determined if our eyes were able to see that link depended on how we perceived the structure ourselves. 

It was a link that could be associated with the cruel meritocratic system hidden in this school's walls. Only the elites were designed to reign at the top of this system.

I took a glance at Ayanokouji who was tied up. He had no expression. 

What could Ayanokouji's life have to do with our current societal system?

I would get the answers eventually so I continued reading.

It's a bit sudden, but listen seriously to the question I'm about to ask and think about the answer carefully.

Yes, this really was sudden.

"The narrator is speaking to us? What kind of book starts this way?" Karuizawa asked.

No one else voiced their thoughts but I could tell everyone was thinking the same thing from the expression they had on their faces. 

"What an interesting book." Shiina commented.

Interesting, indeed. The narrator would rarely ever speak to the reader in this fashion.

"Kuku, I'm going to enjoy this," Ryuuen laughed out loud

"Is it normal for a narrator to speak to their readers like this?" voiced Kushida.

I glanced at Ayanokouji.

"Perhaps" Ayanokouji replied with his usual poker face.

He knew something, didn't he? 

"Ugh, just keep reading." Ibuki complained.

Question: Are people equal or not?

"What a foolish question. Of course not." Sakayanagi arrogantly replied hitting her cane to the floor before I could continue reading.

"Looks like we agree on something for once Sakayanagi. No one is equal to another, it's another of society's made-up lies." Ryuuen said with a strong stance and a bitter distaste.

"Tch. Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree with them" Kamura spoke with a disgusted face. The very thought of agreeing with those two repulsed her to an extent.

"The feeling is mutual," Ibuki, sitting in a corner, spoke resentfully towards Kamuro.

Not everyone had such an aggressive stance, I'm sure Kushida or someone like Ichinose would adopt a passive stance on this.

"I think that not all humans are the same, but that is not necessarily a bad thing either" Shiina said calmly surprising me. I imagined she would stay quiet among all this aggression. She truly was an enigma among the Class B bunch.

"Eh...yes. I agree." Kushida replied quickly. Perhaps to mask her inner thoughts and play the innocent role she had designed for herself.

Ichinose made a difficult face. It doesn't seem like she has an answer.