24 | A N Y T H I N G

"Cel, wake up sweetheart" a younger version of Charlie Swan rubs his four-year-old daughter's back

Renee had already left with Bella, mentioning that she had wanted a mother-daughter day at the mall. When Charlie had asked about Celeste, Renee only rolled her eyes and slammed that door in his face. The sheriff hated the obvious favouritism his wife had with Bella and tried to reason with her about her ridiculous attitude. I

However, in the end, it didn't matter anymore because her distance made his and Celeste's bond stronger.

"Hmmm" Celeste opens her eyes, a smile appears on her face as she sees her father in her sight.

"Papa" She mumbles rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"Guess what?" Charlie questions his daughter, Celeste only tilts her head to the side in confusion.

"It's snowing," The sheriff picks his daughter up and walks towards the window, letting her see the outside.

Celeste's eyes widen in happiness as she watches the snowflakes fall to the ground.

"Whoa" she mumbles in astonishment.

"Come on, let's go see the snow" Charlie mumbles walking down the stairs, zipping up Celeste in her winter coat and gloves before heading out the front door.

Celeste let out a giggle as she stepped on the snow, "Papa come here" she calls him out.

Charlie chuckles walking over to her, he was glad he was able to make her happy because for him Celeste's happiness was the only thing that mattered.

"Let's make a snowman," Charlie suggests, as he creates snowballs,

"That's boring Papa" Celeste frowns shaking her head.

"Oh really?" Charlie raises an eyebrow at his daughter "Then what should we make instead?"

"A wolf" Celeste replies jumping up and down in the snow.

"Of course, how silly of me."

"Silly Papa"

"Love?" Caius hesitantly calls his mate out, he had been waiting for him to come back after dropping Celeste off with the mutts. However when he heard his truck pull up into the drive and yet no one came into the house. The vampire became concerned at what Charlie was doing and decided to go to him.

Charlie snaps out of his memory and weakly smiles toward Caius "Sorry, was in deep thought." He confesses

"No problem" Caius waves his apologies off "It must be difficult," he adds sitting down on the top step, patting the empty space next to him.

"Difficult?" He questions sitting down on the step next to the vampire.

"Dropping Celeste off" Caius elaborates "You've only just got her back; it must be difficult for you to leave her."

Charlie nods his head in understanding "Sometimes I think of keeping her in the house forever, safe, and away from any danger. But if I did that, she wouldn't be able to overcome all the fears she now has because of them."

"You're doing the right thing" Caius comments slowly grabbing Charlie's hand, sighing in relief when he didn't pull away. "It's a new situation for the both of you, it won't be easy but at least you're trying your best."

"Odd" Charlie snorts "Who knew a vampire could be so wise with his words."

"Strange isn't it" Caius chuckles "But you are my mate Charlie and that for us vampires is a precious thing. So, I will do everything in my power to make you and Celeste happy from now on."

"Well, if you allow me to," Caius adds nervously scratching the back of his head.

"it's funny," Charlie softly says "When Celeste came back, my mind was racing with different thoughts about will she be all right? Should I have pushed Bella further? But now even though she's at the rez I know the boys will keep my baby safe."

"And before..." Charlie sighs "Before she told me that this was our second chance, our second chance at finding happiness. That this was our fresh start to forget the past and to focus on what we have right now."

"And?" Caius whispers his eyes filled with hope, for a life with his mate who he thought he'd never have.

Charlie bits on his bottom lip "And I'd be an idiot to not give you a chance, to not give us a chance." He confesses.

"Really?" Caius bites the inside of his cheek not wanting to show his excitement so soon.

"Yes," Charlie chuckles whilst smiling not believing how a vampire could act so childish because of him.

"There is something I need your help with," Charlie explains "I don't want Celeste to keep on looking over her shoulder afraid for the rest of her life in case Renee, Phill, or Bella appear."

Caius's smile drops and awkwardly laughs "Uh about that..." He trails off.

"What?"

"Ummm now that you mention those creatures, I do have something to confess."

Charlie furrows his eyebrows his confusion "Okay?"

"Edward and Bella were dating at one point, correct?" Caius questions yet he already knew the answer.

"Yes that's true, how did you.."

Caius sighs "I didn't want to overwhelm you with information but I think you deserve to know the truth." the vampire knew that even if Charlie wasn't his mate that he and the sheriff would have made a special bond anyway, all because of Celeste.

"Edward assumed that Bella was is mate," Caius explains "It took a while but once the pair came to Volterra Marcus confirmed that there was no bond between them. Which is why Edward ended things, Even though the couple had split we decided to keep an eye on the Cullen coven just for precaution."

"Wait? That's when she ran off to Italy right" Charlie spits out, to be honest, the information was a lot for the man to process but he was glad Caius told him because things were becoming a lot clearer for him.

"Yes, we sent one of our own to watch the Cullen's and to report back with any news."

"That's how you found out about Celeste?"

"Indeed, we were shocked but more angry at what our dear Celeste had been through, with that being said..." Caius hesitantly.

"We have Phill and Renee in our Dungeons."

Charlie blinks at his words "I wasn't expecting that."

"Now that makes a lot more sense, but what about bella?" He adds.

"We have no idea where she is, Demetri and Alec went to bring her back with Renee and Phill. However, someone got to her first." Caius explains frustratedly.

"Jheezz" Charlie mumbles rubbing his face.

"Are you mad?" Caius never cared for anyone's feelings before, because they simply didn't matter to him but things were different now. Charlie wasn't nobody he was his mate, the one he'd been searching for all his thousands of years of being a vampire.

"No" Charlie shakes his head with a frown "How could I be mad at you, this....you hadn't even met Celeste yet but you still took away the ones who caused her pain."

"Thank you." Without thinking Charlie turns around and hugs Caius causing the vampire to choke on air at the sudden action that he definitely wasn't expecting. If he was human Caius knew he would have been blushing at the physical contact.

"Anything for my mate and his daughter."

———-
Awww I actually love their relationship

Hope you enjoyed this chapter <3