Chapter 3

Arha POV

The school was soon bustling with noises as the remaining school buses arrived. Hugs and high fives between people after not seeing each other for more than two months responded across every classroom. Girls, sharing the latest gossips from internet and boys starting to run around, chasing each other brought life back to where it belongs. I was all smiles, meeting teachers and classmates - deciding on places to sit and all those girly stuff.

Although we were all very close, a trio always is obvious within any friends circle. And our circle's trio consisted of me - short tempered, bossy and still the baby, Asha - the softspoken, responsible mother of the three, and Elana - the carefree, internet addict.
I rush into Elana's arms as soon as she enters the room, and we both would have lost balance of not for Asha who stopped Elana from leaning backwards from the force of my attack. The Woo! And aah!'s are replaced by their warm hands surrounding me from both the sides as we stand like that for a few minutes.

We break apart to give each other space to breathe, and I start ordering them around like I always do. Pointing a chalk across the room towards the corner seats near the front window, I grandy announce,

"This, Asha and Lana, will be our courtroom, from where we may Grace the proceedings of this hall with our attention."

I start giggling half way, as my voice cracks while I tried to mimic a low, thunderous tone. Asha holds my ear as I try pulling them towards the seat I was earlier mentioning and Lana joins the fun as she continues in a weird tone, " Which one among these, your highness, is my humble throne ?" And she starts laughing.

Within the next few minutes all 16 of us are in place, and the chatting has subsided into soft whispers between desks. The room vibrates from the noises like a prayer hall does from administered hymns. We were all expecting a new class teacher this year, and very soon, Mrs.Ruby enters the class.

Mrs.Ruby, introduces herself as our class teacher and our social science teacher. She has just returned from Germany, where she had worked as a teacher for 12 years. She spoke with a a mellow and polite tone despite her commanding aura. She finished her introductory talk, waiting for us to introduce ourselves.

I immediately stand up, welcoming her to our class. Knowing how much I talk, others resign into silence giving me the familiar nods and smiles. I introduce myself to her, and say a few words about how we are happy to let her join us in this journey. The others start following my lead, as they introduce themselves continued by a congratulatory phrase for her. We maintain order throughout the ice breaking session as Ruby mam motivates us towards working hard for the best results and so on.

Knowing all of them quite well, by the end of the first hour, I felt a bit of unease from the boys. They were having a hard time adjusting to the new teacher. Marcus and Adrian, the commentator duo kept whispering to each other, and I can sense Mrs.Ruby's increasing irritation at their behaviour. Before she starts scolding them on the very first day, I stand up, gathering all the attention.

"Uh, Mrs.Ruby, since it is just our first day, and because we will be focusing on classes increasingly for the rest of the year, can you please let us enjoy a free period today ?" I asked, adding a bit of my baby voice to the last line.

The boys wasted no time in agreeing, some already standing up in anticipation. Mrs.Ruby started chuckling. The class held its silence as we waited for mam to continue "Ofcourse my dear, what is your name again ? Oh, yes Arha. Sure Arha, but you must promise me something before. Will you?" She asked. Ofcourse everyone nodded, shouting a few 'What is it mam ?' in between.

" The class teachers are instructed to co-ordinate with their class students and decorate the pin-up boards within the end of this week. Can you all bring a draft of your own ideas asto how we are going to decorate our board by tomorrow? The theme can be anything of your own accord."