Chapter 8

Arha POV

After the timely help that evening, things have been pretty normal. Zaylen and I are waiting in front of the canteen for the Coach and other teachers to arrive. The core council consists of two more students other than us, who are also yet to arrive.

"How was the first dorm day?" I ask, hating this awkward silence growing on us.

"The boys made it easier. Other than missing Xav, things have turned out better than I had anticipated," he replies looking up to the sky.

Sound of someone walking, and "I thought you would never come, it's a pleasant surprise," our coach exclaims as he spots Zaylen.

Zaylen points his hands towards me, "Coach, isn't that why you decided to tell this to Arha and not me."

"I know the dynamics of your Class alright," he grins. "Where are the other two - Jay and Clara?" Coach asks looking around for our seniors.

We simply shrug, "I think this is their Science period, and most probably Punitha mam is holding them back. Should I go Call them ?" I offer, jumping down from the ledge I was sitting on.

But Coach seems to be in no hurry, "It's Alright, We wanted to inform you all about your nominated positions and that we will be training you for the Council March which you're supposed to do during the ceremony. We'll just wait here."

"Aaah? MARCH PAST ?!" I groan in dismay - I hate Marches. The stiff posture, coordination and salutes at the end, just thinking of it makes me tired. I swear I will mess up the tap of left and right legs during turns and stuff.

I hear Zaylen giggle behind me, and the Coach joins him. " Coach, is it too late if I resign my position voluntarily ?" I ask, offering a resignation even before I get to know my position.

Coach gravely shakes his head, "You were decided for this position a year back. But because the core positions are only for the super seniors, teachers had to hold back from nominating you."

The rest, he needn't tell. Of course, they are not letting me off the hook. Just then, our seniors arrive followed by Venth sir, the Core council head for this year.

"Our Hamster is finally IN!" Ji says, ruffling my hair. Ok, I'm not going anywhere.

"Kids, now that everyone is here, we'll get to the point," says Coach as we four seat ourselves along the deck beside the stairs to the canteen.

Jay and Clara are the School Pupil Leaders - The Head Boy and Head Girl respectively. Zaylen is the Sports Secretary, while I am responsible for Cultural and Academics. They even gave me a fancy name for this position - The LIT-ART Secretary.

Since our seniors are in Class 11 this year, they have fewer responsibilities in the daily school routine. So, without telling, most of the activities fall on our shoulders. Excluding Sports, everything from organising Events, reporting Academic Activities, indulging everyone in out-campus competitions and many more is under my wing.

I'm happy with this role of mine because I've been doing most of this already. Then the Coach proceeds to inform us about the practice sessions, dress code and our oaths for the ceremony.

I groan again, mutedly when the Coach looks at me when mentioning about the march past. Ji joins the fun and by the time instructions are over, we four are already geared up for tough weeks of practice and another year of leadership.

Jay and Clara excuse themselves immediately after to return to their Science class. And since its only Games for us, I plan to visit the library.

"Your Highness, can I have the pleasure of escorting you to your next destination ?" Zaylen asks, with a dramatic prince bow.