Chapter 1: Are We Home Yet?

Harry Potter and the Amulet of Time

Book 3 – The Wolf and the Pelican

Chapter One – Are We Home Yet?

With a flash and a *pop* the four students arrived once more in a deserted Great Hall. Looking around, they could see the House tables were all set up ready for the students to arrive, but none of the teachers were anywhere in sight.

" Well, this is familiar," Hermione stated, thinking back to the year before when they arrived to an equally empty Hall.

" Yeah, it is. I wonder what time we're in. Do you think we're home yet?"

" I doubt it, Ron. I think we'll have to wait at least another year."

" Well, why don't we go up to Dumbledore's office? He's sure to be there, and I want to see him surprised," Ginny suggested.

When everyone nodded, the group picked up their trunks and followed Harry to the nearest wall. Placing his hand there, he created a door into his room. Once inside, they looked around to see if it looked the same as when they had left. A few alterations had been made, such as the furniture being moved and a few extra pictures on the walls. The four dropped their trunks on the floor and headed over to look at the pictures. Harry was the first one there, and gasped at what he saw.

" Oh sweet Merlin, that's Minh and Eustace. It's their wedding."

" What! They got married?" Ginny exclaimed.

" It would seem so. Look, there's more. A few of their wedding day, and their last years here at Hogwarts. They look so old."

" They will do, Harry. They were twelve when we left, and in these pictures they're adults."

" I know, 'Mione, but it just seems weird."

" Yeah, I know. Hey, look at this one. It has Minh holding a baby."

Ron pointed to a moving photograph of a grinning Eustace and a smiling Minh, holding a small baby wrapped in a blue blanket in her arms. Underneath, written in silver ink, was the inscription 'The Potters with baby James, 1960'.

" That's my dad. Minh's my grandmother. It never occurred to me before. I remember Lolide telling me I must have elven blood in my ancestry to be able to do elven magic so well, but I never thought about where it would come from."

" That means little Gaerwyn you met 1000 years ago is your great grandmother," Hermione pointed out. Harry groaned and put his face in his hands.

" I don't know if I can even think about that. It's making my head spin. This time travelling thing is really getting confusing."

" You're only just getting confused? Lucky you. I've been confused from the beginning."

" I'm sure you haven't, Ron."

" I have, Gin. I can't get my head around it."

" Um, guys? I think we should get to Dumbledore's office. The students will start arriving in a couple of hours, and we still don't know when we are."

" Good point, let's go."

Hermione went over to her luggage and let Crookshanks out so he could roam around for a bit. She didn't like keeping him locked up for too long. Ron did the same with Pig, telling him to go up to the owlery. When they were ready, Harry put his hand on the wall and asked for the headmaster's office. This was a feature he had added just before they left 1944. Before, they would leave the room and come out of a door in a corridor near the entrance to the Gryffindor common room. Now they could specify where they wanted a door to appear. Harry hadn't told Dumbledore about it yet, as he was hoping to surprise him. When he pulled the new door open, he stepped though into the round office, the others right behind him. The headmaster was sitting at his desk and looked up, startled, when they stepped in the room. Giving them a puzzled look, the four were amused when comprehension hit him and his eyes suddenly widened.