Chapter 5: Slytherins and Gryffindors friends?

September 3rd found Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny sitting in the Hogwarts library, their homework spread out before them. They hadn't seen each other all day, as none of the Houses had had lessons together, so they had met up after dinner in the library to catch up. They had a few essays to do, but had laid them aside to catch up on their gossip.

" So, 'Mione, how are you getting on in Hufflepuff?" Harry asked her.

" It's not too bad. I was more comfortable in Ravenclaw, where I was with more like minded people, but it's better than Slytherin any day."

" Slytherin's not so bad. I got on better there than I am in Ravenclaw," Ginny added, " The people in my new House are all so intellectual. Whenever I try and have a conversation with one of them, I end up feeling really stupid."

" You're not stupid, Gin. You just think there's more to life than schoolwork and grades, unlike these two," Ron said, gesturing to Harry and Hermione.

" Hey! I think about more than schoolwork," Harry protested, " Like pranks!"

" That's true, Harry. How are you getting on in Slytherin, by the way? It must be awful!"

" It's not so bad. I think I made an impression at the Welcome Feast when I told Malfoy off. He's been storming around for the last two days."

" I can't believe you're stuck with that Death Eater. Have you made any friends?"

" Well, just one, but it's tentative at the moment."

" Who?" Hermione asked in curiosity.

" Severus Snape."

" SNAPE! Harry, are you mental?"

" No Ron, I'm not mental. He's…different. Not as cold and mean. I think that came later after years of being a spy. He's quite nice once you get him to open up a little."

" But…Snape!?"

" Yes, Snape. Ron, I need to have at least one friend in my own House, or it'll be a very long year. He needs a friend and so do I, so I don't see where the problem is."

" Snape?!"

" Oh, Ron, leave Harry alone. If he wants to be friends with Snape, then let him."

" Ginny? How can you defend that greasy git?"

" Oh Ron, grow up," Hermione exclaimed, exasperated.

" Can we change the subject please? Ron, how are you getting on with my parents and the Marauders?"

" Fine, Harry. They're really nice. We're sort of friends at the moment, but it would be hard to penetrate their little group. I think they'll be in here later, so I'll introduce you."

Harry suddenly felt really nervous. Sure, he had seen his parents and their friends across the Great Hall from quite a distance, and passed them a few times in the corridors between lessons, but he had never actually spoken to them. The thought made him very worried. What if they didn't like him? What if they hated him for his House? What if they didn't mind, but made him choose between them and Sev? Would he abandon his new friend for his parents if he had to? Thoughts flitted through his mind for what seemed an age before he was brought back to the present by an insistent shaking of his shoulder. Looking across, he came face to face with a concerned looking Ginny.

" Are you alright, Harry? You spaced out here for a minute."

" Sorry, Gin. I was just thinking."

" What about?"

" My parents. I was wondering if they would hate me."

" What for?!"

" Well, any number of reasons. They may not like my personality, or the fact that I'm a Slytherin. They might doubt my loyalty…"