4.1

A/N: Hello everyone! I know it's been a SUPER long time. I honestly still love this story and will finish it, but I can't promise regular updates. Sorry! I will do my best to not keep you waiting months, though! Thanks for your patience :)

-

05 - 29 - 2089

G I S

Like a freaking piece of machinery at their disposal.

The words ring in my head, echoing until I feel a pounding behind my ears and at the base of my neck. My face reddens. "Is that true?" I force myself to look at Tesrine, unable to meet Cade's gaze. Have I been so naive that I've once again been fooled? Did I trust these people too quickly? 

I feel torn. They saved mine and Cade's life. When he was shot and bleeding to death, they were the ones to fix him up. They harbored us in a safe house for months. But now I find out they haven't told us the whole truth, and that I'm so important to their cause? It sounds too familiar. Like an old lie I've only just started to forget. 

And Cade. They hurt him and forced him to remain here like a captive. Just like my life for years. 

Even if they are on our side, how can we truly trust them? How can I ever trust anyone?

Tesrine's forehead creases and Mr. Tate frowns. "That is so far from the truth I don't even know where to begin," Tesrine says at last. She opens her mouth to continue, when Mr. Tate cuts in.

He casts her a sidelong glance. "Gis, dear, we owe you an apology. You've been lied to almost your entire life, and we can't begin to imagine how confused and frustrated you must feel. This organization, as Tesrine was trying to explain, was built because of you. For you. Our leader is committed to the cause in which each of us pledges. We are all fighting for you and for the good of our country.  There are many things you don't understand."

I offer Mr. Tate a small nod, trying to calm my raging thoughts. "If you're not the leader, then who is?" I manage to ask Tesrine, recalling Mr. Tate's explanation of her job. She certainly has an air of authority about her, so I'm surprised she doesn't lead everyone.

Tesrine half smiles. "Alex leads us. But while he's away, I help keep things up and running."

"We want to meet him, then," Cade says, his tone flat.

Mr. Tate and Tesrine share a look. "Soon," Tesrine promises. "He's away right now on a mission. He's been away for several months, in fact, otherwise he would have come to explain this all to you sooner."

"So you've been keeping all this from us for months because you were too scared to tell us?" Cade scoffs.

I frown and avoid his gaze. I understand his frustration, but he isn't making it any easier to get answers.

"On the contrary," Tesrine responds, her tone conveying patience despite Cade's attitude, "Alex asked us to keep this quiet until he returned. That was the plan until you both decided to shake things up. I made the elective decision to break the news early."

"I don't appreciate the dishonesty," I begin, speaking slowly as I gather my thoughts, "but I'm glad you chose to tell us the truth now." At least, I hope it's the truth. "But I have one-- well actually many-- questions. First, what is this organization and why does it exist? You keep saying it's because of me. What does that mean?"

"I'll let you take this one," Mr. Tate says to Tesrine. He leans back in his chair.

Tesrine plays with a small braid that hangs over her shoulder. "Where to start?" She leans back, staring at the ceiling. "We're called The Black Star. That's our official name, given to us by Alex. He started this group. And he started it because of you. Well, you and GIADA." She stops, considering for a moment. "The Genetic Intervention And Disease Administration, or GIADA," she uses air quotes for emphasis, "was formed shortly after the dissolution in 2045. When it became clear that the virus which attacked all our electronics now was targeting living beings, they knew an epidemic was evident. So they started searching a cure and a way to genetically improve humans to survive the impending disease."