1.2

A/N: Hi all! Welcome back to the second chapter! In case it wasn't clear, the headings of each chapter will indicate who the chapters point of view is being told from :) In this instance, you all will have another glimpse into Cade's mind! I hope you enjoy, and please let me know what you think!

-

05 - 28 - 2089

C A D E

I'm unsurprised that my search for Gis ends outside. She frequents the Tate's backyard and forest, often disappearing for hours at a time, much to my discomfort. Nevertheless, the fresh air and freedom have almost entirely changed her. Gone is the small, unsure girl with pale skin and paper thin arms. She's been replaced by someone who's tasted life and is drunk on it.

Gis' raven hair has grown back in the months since she cut it when we were on the run. The locks hang loose down her back, framing a face filled with radiance. I swear, every time I see her she has a look of utter wonder and delight on her face. And when she turns those silver-lined eyes on me, I can feel myself breaking apart from how much I love her. 

Gis is sprawled on a patch of grass nearby a large oak, a large pad of sketch paper and various charcoal tools spread around her. Her face is tense with concentration as I make my way across the backyard towards her. Her fingers drift across the page, making smooth strokes with charcoal. Her fingers are smeared with the same substance, as they usually are. Most days she is unable to wash the stains off. I've gotten used to finding smudges of the dark color on my clothes and other surfaces about the house.

"What are you working on?" I call out, stopping a few feet away to catch my breath. I lean against a tree, taking a moment to slow my breathing. Gis draws a final stroke before looking up, her expression transforming into excitement.

"It's such a beautiful day," she says, smiling freely. She stands, straightening her pale blue dress. "I had to draw it."

"Draw what?" I push off from the tree and close the distance, peering down at the pad of paper now covered in dark smudges and marks. Gis leans into me as I study the art for a moment. When I look up, it's to compare the art from the real thing. And once again, she's captured another moment in time with such clarity.

The sun shines through the trees beyond us, creating spectacular beams of light wherever they touch. And somehow, Gis has captured it with mere charcoal. I turn to face her, opening my mouth to tell her what a genius she is. 

She kisses me before I have a chance. Her arms wrap around my waist as she leans up, and I bend forward to connect our bodies, one hand in her hair and the other around her back. "It's beautiful," I mumble, my lips still touching hers. She laughs and kisses me again, freely and without restraint.

When we break apart to catch our breath, she points to the forest. "During my morning walk I saw the dew lit up by the morning sunbeams and I knew I had to draw this forest again. I feel like it's different every time I come out here. How is that possible?" 

"Maybe it's magic?" I say, teasing.

Gis frowns, considering. "Magic?" 

I laugh and pull her against me again. "I was kidding."

"Of course you were." She huffs, but grins after a moment, unable to pretend she's angry. It's another thing I've noticed about her personality since she's been free. She's learned so much in these past weeks, drinking up everything anyone will tell her. 

And now she loves to try and use the information she learns on me. I'm guessing Mrs. Tate was trying to explain the concept of sarcasm to Gis, as evidenced by her attempt at anger. I can't help but find it adorable, and I say as much to her.