4.2

A/N: Welcome back! I've looked ahead in the outline and this is going to be so fun! So stick along for the ride! 😂 Hehehehe

-

05 - 29 - 2089

G I S

I stare through glass at the leaves floating by without a care in the world. For a moment, I wish to be a leaf, free from all human attachments. Free to float about and do absolutely nothing. A leaf is of no importance.

I thought I'd find freedom after escaping Ilene Lestat and GIADA, but now I'm not so sure. Instead of finding freedom, I feel as trapped as before, only in a different way. The enormity of everyone's expectations weigh on me, heavier with each passing moment.

My mind travels to the conversation with Cade that started us down this slippery slope. As much as I hate to admit it, I still feel that way. So many people are suffering right now, and I have the power to save them. Doesn't that mean I have a responsibility to do just that?

"What are you thinking about?" Cade's warm hand rests on my back as he comes to stand beside me. For a moment, I remain quiet as we stare out the window of the bedroom into the Tate's backyard.

"Nothing much," I say at last, offering a small shrug. The entirety of my mind is painfully aware of every point where Cade's fingers press against my skin. The more I think about it, the more my heart thuds in my chest. A blush rises to my cheeks, and I force myself to turn and face him, if only to break the contact. What is wrong with me?

Cade studies my face, too observant for his own good. As much as I love that about him, it can also be extremely aggravating. I can't keep anything from him, even if I wanted to. I watch as his left eyebrow tilts ever so slightly, the way it does when he is contemplating something.

I don't know what conclusion he comes to, but I can tell he doesn't want to argue with me. He loops his arm around my back before scooping me up, his other arm beneath my legs. Taken by surprise, I throw my arms around his neck, letting out a little gasp.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

Cade smirks, turning and walking over to the opposite side of the room. "I think you need to stop thinking so hard." With that, he releases me.

For a moment, I'm weightless. Then I land on my bed with a flop, arms splaying to my sides. I blink, staring up at Cade. "What was that for?" I'm not sure if I should laugh or be irritated.

Cade's smirk turns into a grin. "Just relax. Can't I enjoy some time with the most beautiful girl in the world?'

Most beautiful girl in the world. My face reddens. I cover it with one hand, hiding my giddy smile. All anxious thoughts float out of my mind and dissipate. Cade flops down beside me and turns on his side, propped up on one arm. The grin remains on his face, but when I look closer I catch a glimpse of tightness within his eyes. Something ever so slightly that looks forced.

"I really want to kiss you." The words come out before I can stop them. I hate myself just a little bit, but not as much as I thought I would. The softness in Cade's expression eases my ruminating, and he leans forward to oblige.

The kiss is soft, sweet. Tender, bright, and made of the most beautiful feelings one can have for another person. He kisses me like I'm his person, and he's mine. Which I don't mind one bit at all.