7.2

A/N: Welcome back to Cade's perspective! This chapter was very interesting to write, so I hope you all have fun reading it. Comment and like if you're enjoying the sequel so far!

-

06 - 01 - 2089

C A D E

Gis and I are in the middle of eating when Yaun enters and orders me to follow him. I stare, breathing through a growing sense of anger. My face throbs with increased blood flow, a fresh reminder of Yaun's potential for brutality. I refuse to respond, instead taking another bite out of the roll on my tray. 

Gis looks from Yaun to me. "Cade?" She's holding an identical tray in her lap, upon which sits a piece of meat, pile of rice, and some bread. She's holding a cup of water in her hands.

"What do you want?" I finally growl, directing my attention back to Yaun. My body is tensed in anticipation should he try anything. "You caught us. Isn't that enough?"

Yaun rolls his eyes. "Don't be dramatic. I was just following orders. Alex wants to see you."

Gis pushes away her tray and begins to stand, halting when I put a hand on her arm. "No," I mutter. "We're not going with him. I don't trust anything he says."

"Not her," Yaun says. "Just you." He eyes me, hand drifting to the taser holstered on his belt. 

I swallow. "I'm not leaving her. I already told you I'm not coming."

"Chill out. I'm not going to hurt you or her. Just come with me." Yaun looks bored of this conversation. Does he even care about the damage he's caused? I wonder why Alex would even employ someone of his sort. He seems to have very little reason to be in this band of rebels. Or maybe he just longs to commit acts of violence, and this was the best way to do that. 

"Why does he want to see me?" I'm seated on Gis' bed, legs hanging off the side. My posture is relaxed, but my mind is alert. Ready to react at a moment's notice. 

"Do I have to tase your sorry behind and drag you myself?" Yaun snaps, done with the conversation. "I have better things to do than be your babysitter."

I start to rise and open my mouth to snap back, but Gis pulls on my arm. I look down at her, hesitating. She lowers her voice. "Please just do as he says, Cade. I don't want to see you hurt again." 

I stare into her eyes for several moments. My pride rages against backing down. Against showing weakness or submission. I nod. "Okay." 

-

It's nothing short of a miracle, but somehow Yaun and I arrive at Alex's office without tearing each other to pieces. He watches me enter, still staring as the door shuts behind me. I do a quick survey of the room, noting the simple bookshelves lining both walls, fluorescent lights less harsh than in the hallway. A large oak desk rests in the center of the room, taking up a good amount of the space. Alex sits behind it, nodding as I meet his gaze.

"Thank you for coming. I'm sure it's hard to be away from her for any amount of time," Alex says. "Please, sit." He gestures to a chair situated on the opposite side of the desk, near me. 

I comply, noting the appreciative tone of his voice. He offers me a glass of water, but I decline. I watch as he pours himself one, then sits back down. We face one another, separated by his large desk. For several moments, no one speaks. I take the time to study him, noting the same dark hair that Gis has, soft and straight. But his is a tad bit lighter, closer to dark brown than black.