8: The Grim Reaper

"One lie is enough to question all truths," -Anonymous 

The boxing place is small and run down looking. I glance at my watch, this needs to be fast. I need to get to a meeting with my client.

The towering man, perhaps in his early forties, approaches me with a confused expression.

"How can I help you ma'am?"

I tuck my phone back into my purse,

"I'm looking for lessons. I'm quite busy so twice a week will have to work."

He looks me over, taking in my pencil skirt and blouse, my heels that make my feet arch at that painful angle.

"Why are you interested in boxing?"

I consider him for a beat and then arch a brow,

"I'm a woman in a city. The amount of cat calls I get a day tells me that I need to be prepared if one of them comes a bit too close for my liking."

It isn't a lie. It certainly isn't the whole truth, but it's enough.

He nods slowly,

"So you want self defense training."

I nod with him,

"That would be great."

He shrugs,

"Okay. It'll be $50 a class. I'd suggest we start with one class a week. Would you prefer a female or male trainer?"

That is a no brainer,

"Female."

He goes into the office and pulls out a card,

"Alright. What day works best for you."

I study my schedule on my phone,

"Wednesday evenings should work. How long would the sessions be?"

He scratches his moustache,

"Usually an hour and 30."

I grin,

"That sounds perfect."

I meet Tanner at the airport. His co-workers wolf whistle when they see me and I hate how it makes me feel like an object. Like a pretty thing that hangs off of his arm. I lean off of the cab and wrap my hands around his shoulders, leaning up and kissing him. It is quick and over before it starts. I ignore the way his lips are chapped. I ignore the way his excited chatter washes over me like a wave of sickness.

He grins at me,

"How have you been? I'm so craving some good old Chicago pizza."

I smile softly,

"Sure. Let's go grab some."

The pizza place is crowded. He wolfs down his slices, some of the marinara sauce gets on his polo shirt. I hand him a napkin. He chatters,

"We went surfing, I tell you it was crazy risky with the huge waves. I mean we could have drowned. Plus you know, in the Caribbean there are tons of sharks. It was crazy."

I can see golden eyes gleaming,

"Don't mistake me darling, I can kill you now."

I laugh, it is a short sound. Tanner's use of 'risky' makes me giggle. I can still feel the gun against my pulse point.

He looks up at me, wiping his mouth,

"What's so funny?"

I duck my head, hiding my smile,