Incriminate Me

"I am no longer sure of anything. If I satiate my desires, I sin but I deliver myself from them; if I refuse to satisfy them, they infect the whole soul," -Jean Paul Sartre 

The greatest discoveries are not always found at moments in time that equal their grandeur. 

It is late in the office, my heels are kicked off and the papers of the Davis Case are splattered across the floor like artwork. Detective Kourish is getting us coffee, I can hear her in the other room as the old coffee machine groans to life. 

I yawn and reach for the caffeine pills in my bag, dipping my hand into the satchel. I turn slightly as my fingers feel around searching for something that isn't there. In the shadows of the Chicago evening I go to withdraw my hand, as this is Kourish's satchel and not my own. 

You could call it a cruel turn of fate or perhaps my insistent curiosity that makes me notice there is a case file that she has kept within the bag and not opened for me to peruse. 

I hesitate for a crucial moment before I pull it out. My thought process insists that she must have just forgotten it. 

I flip it open and survey the paper. A cold still settles over me. 

It has three pictures attached and each of them are for three of the four witnesses to the Clemmence murder. One is of a person hanging, the other has them plastered to the pavement, and the last is of a bathtub filled with blood, wrists slit. 

I close the file with a snap. 

Perhaps I shouldn't have looked. 

But then I would have never met him. 

And that in itself feels like a crime. 

A/N

Welcome friends!!! 

A couple things- this story will have a LOT OF PLOT. I enjoy writing plot and I want it to be a good and more realistic Mafia Mystery story. Of course there will be romance, but it will come with time. This is a SLOW BURN. 

If you like heightened tensions, adrenaline filling plot, and steamy enemies to lovers this is the cocaine for you!!! 

Hop on for a fun and wicked ride