32

IT SEEMS endless. Hindi niya mapigilan ang pagtulo ng mga luha habang pinapanood ang mag-ama. She had imagine that scene for like a hundred times but witnessing it in person was different. She never knew that too much happiness could also make her heart ache.

She can't describe the feeling. But she's beyond happy for her son. Seeing him with bright eyes as he looks at his father was already enough for her. Basta para kay Xavi, every single pain will be worth it.

Xavi yawned. Kanina pa niya pinapanood ang mag-ama na naglalaro. Xavi kept on showing his father the toys they bought the other day. He was talkative and too energetic. He would laugh and smile at Grant. He would look at his father with so much adoration. Sometimes, it makes her heart ache. He longed to have his father around. And it was her fault that he had to wait this long.

"Tired?" Grant smiled at Xavi.

Kinusot nito ang mata at antok na tiningnan ang ama. "Can you stay?" He asked with his innocent eyes. "Please?"

Grant looked at her, as if asking for her permission. She can't oppose that. Lalo na't si Xavi ang humiling niyon sa kanya. Marahan siyang tumango kay Grant. Agad na bumaling ito sa anak.

"Yeah. Where's your room?" Malumanay na tanong nito bago binuhat si Xavi.

Xavi looked small in his arms. Samantalang siya ay hirap na sa tuwing binubuhat ito. He carried their son with so much care that it made her heart ache. She got teary-eyed because of that scene.

Sabay na nilingon siya nang dalawa. Nasaktuhan pang nagpupunas siya ng luha. She smiled at Xavi when his forehead crease. Ganoon din ang hitsura ni Grant. Lalo lang silang nagiging magka-mukha.

"Why cry, Mommy?" Xavi asked in his innocent voice.

Umiling siya. "I'm just happy for you." Muntik pa siyang pumiyok sa huling salita.

Grant stared at her for a long while. Kung hindi pa muling humikab ang anak nila, malamang na hindi ito mag-iiwas ng tingin. She followed them on their room. Xavi looks so sleepy but he kept on talking to Grant. Nagtatanong ang ama at maligaya namang sumasagot ang anak.

"When's your birthday?" She heard Grant asked Xavi as he put him to bed.

Natigilan siya dahil sa tanong na iyon. They have the same birthday and Grant doesn't know that yet. Hindi niya alam kung ano ang magiging reaksyon nito.

"Next month..." Xavi's voice was so faint. "It's on the 17th." Kinusot nitong muli ang mga mata at humikab.

Binalingan siya ni Grant at nakitang namumula ang mga mata nito. She looked away when she saw tears go down the sides of his face. She can't look at him that way. Parang ang daming bagay pala niyang ninakaw at itinago rito. Xavi shouldn't have been kept from him. It was her fault. He still has the right to know of their child's existence. She was just a coward back hurt. And the pain blinded her for so many years.

"Daddy? You cry?"

"Y-yes." Grant said but it was of joy. "We have the same birthday. You look so much a lot like me. You're an early gift for my birthday." He said.

"I wish for you on my birthday." Xavi said. "Mommy said it will be her gift to me."

It's true. One of the reasons why they came back in the country was because of their son's wish. Gustung-gusto nitong makita ang ama. Kaya nga pumayag na rin siyang umuwi ng Pilipinas.

Being an ambassador for Grant's new condotel was a cover-up, orchestrated by Yuka and Daniel. Para mas madali na rin niyang makasalamuha si Grant. They planned it so well but it ended up like this. A big mess. She fucked it up.