Epilogue

HOW CAN you be sure that you already found the one? That the person you're about to marry is the one destined for you? That she's the one God has made for you?

Paano kung... hindi pala?

Grant was never the type of person to make a decision without thinking about it multiple times. He was always ahead in every situation. But he never saw that his drastic decision, made everyone suffer. It made everyone's lives miserable, especially the woman she loves the most.

It was that one afternoon when he saw Dani from the hospital that made him bothered. She looked so healthy. Why would she be in a hospital? And what is she doing with an oncologist? That's when it all started.

Dani has Leukemia, cancer of the blood. It was on its third stage already. Hindi niya alam kung ano ang dapat na maramdaman. Kung dapat ba siyang matuwa dahil iniwan naman siya nito noon. Maybe she deserves to suffer, but his own heart cannot lie. He still loves Dani. Kaya nga nandito siya ngayon sa sitwasyong ito. Inalok na magpanggap na okay silang dalawa, just so he can be with her. He won't ever let her go this time.

She looks pretty much the same. Only that she lost some weight. It was awkward. There's this thin wall between them. He badly wanted to ask her how's she been doing but he just kept it to himself. Sa susunod na lang siguro.

"Grant, what happened two years ago..." Dani looked at her, as if reading what's on her mind.

He shook his head. "Can we not talk about the past now?" Malamig na saad niya.

He's hurt that she left him but he's suffering now more than ever. He can't afford to lose her like this. Kung noon sumuko siya, ngayon hindi. He'll make sure that she will end up with him. Wala itong kawala. But faith has other plans. Iyon ang hindi niya nakita at napaghandaan.

"Grant, I'm pregnant."

Marahas na nilingon niya si Cristina. "You're what?" Halos pagalit na tanong niya.

Everything is going smoothly with him and Dani, and now this? Cristina called him and begged him to meet just to say she's pregnant? Ano naman ngayon? What does it have to do with her then?

"I am carrying your child." Mahinang saad nito at tumungo.

It was a lie. He knew that from the very beginning. Kaya hindi niya iyon matanggap. Not until it was proven with a DNA test. He couldn't even remember a thing about that night. He was too drunk but he knew nothing happened between them. Iyon ang paninindogan niya.

He dismissed what Cristina said. Kahit na ilang ulit siya nitong tinawagan at pilit na gustong kausapin, hindi siya nagpakita. Not now that he's living in heaven with Dani.

"Marry me today."

It was the sentence that scarred him and gave him nightmares. Because when he asked her that two years ago, she backed out. She ran away. He was afraid that this time it might happen again.

Dani looked at him for a few seconds and then nodded after a while. Her tears fell one by one. He hugged her tightly and that lead to where they are now.

"By the power vested in me, I now pronounced you husband and wife."

It was fast. The decisions he made was as fast as a lightning. There's no turning back now. Nakatali na sila sa isa't isa. Hindi na sila maghihiwalay pang dalawa.

That was what's in his plans, until that one night happened. Cristina lost her baby. Dani got hospitalized too because of over fatigue, but he knew better. It wasn't just because of that.

"Iiwan ka lang ulit niya, Grant. No matter what you do and say, iiwan ka niya. Even if you beg her to stay, she will drift away."

Cristina's words echoed on his mind. Kaya natatakot siyang kausapin si Dani. Natatakot siya maiwan nitong muli. Na sa huli, mawawala na naman sa kanya ang taong pinakamamahal niya. At iyon nga ang nangyari.