ii. | И РЕБЕНОК?

FILE n°888 | SUBJECT RED
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ loading

╭─────────╮
the triskellion
SHIELD headquarters, washington, DC

╰─────────╯

march 9th 2014

Steve Rogers was not having a great day, to put it mildly. Finding out that Nick Fury had once again lied to him just to get the super soldier to carry out his missions for him had put a slight damper on his mood. He didn't know what stung more, the fact that Fury couldn't bother letting him in on SHIELD business or the fact that Natasha had lied to his face. And then of course there was still the subject of the red headed girl he had seen on the ship last night. He had tried to bring it up to Natasha several times, but the woman had simply waved him off, assuring him that what he had seen was just one of the scared hostages making a run for it.

Still, Steve couldn't keep the girl's face out of his mind, her big round blue and green eyes had been intently fixed upon his own and looking into them had unlocked a memory buried deep inside his mind of someone he knew was dead. He had refused to dwell on that memory but he couldn't help but analyse her face for what felt like the millionth time since this morning. Her sharp angular cheekbones, the small birthmark on her neck shaped like a loopy heart, those deep set eyes and the particular colour of her blue one were all features that seemed so familiar to him.

Walking through the lobby of the SHIELD headquarters in Washington, Steve had his mind replaying the events of the previous night in his head. Even if that girl had been a scared hostage making a run for it, why was she dressed for a mission? Why did she have knives strapped to her leather suit and why was she wearing a dark mask that covered half of her face. Natasha's theory made no sense.

The elevator ride to Fury's office was over before he knew it and only a few seconds later, he was walking into the director of SHIELD's office. "You just can't stop yourself from lying, can you?"

Nick Fury was sitting behind his desk, facing away from him, looking out of the glass windows covering his entire office that overlooked Washington DC and the White House.

"I didn't lie. Agent Romanoff had a different mission than yours."

Steve persisted. "Which you didn't feel obliged to share." He kept walking until he reached the director's desk, the man was still facing away from him.

"I'm not obliged to do anything." Fury said, bluntly.

"Those hostages could've died, Nick." The super soldier's voice held resent and anger towards the man wearing an eye patch in front of him.

Nick Fury finally turned around, looking at Steve directly. "I sent the greatest soldier in history to make sure that didn't happen."

"Soldiers trust each other, that's what makes an army." The blue eyed man reminded the director of what he was taught when he was in the army. "Not a bunch of guys running around shooting guns."

"Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye." The man stood up as he mentioned the story of how his patch came to cover his left eye. "Look, I didn't want you doing anything you weren't comfortable with." His tone changed. It was barely noticeable to anyone who didn't know the man, but it was softer somehow. "Agent Romanoff is comfortable with everything."