ii. | THE CRIMSON WIDOW PROJECT

FILE n°888 | SUBJECT RED
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ loading

╭─────────╮
hydra facility
siberia, unknown
╰─────────╯
september 14, 2002

When the baby took her first breath, she was all alone, and everyone thought her dead.

She was laid out on a metal tray, in the underground laboratory that had been built by the Red Room and HYDRA as soon as they had found out about her existence, covered in her mother's blood and that gnarly white bodily fluid that no one had bothered ridding her of. She weighed barely two and a half pounds and was so small that they could easily fit her on the metal dinner tray and still have space to lay down tools next to her head.

The child of the Black Widow and the Winter Soldier looked dead. She had been dead for the first ten hours of her life while she was being transported to Siberia, closer to the HYDRA facility where she would be growing up. Her skin was horrifyingly pale, practically translucent and clung to her bones like the first snow clung to the ground in late November. Her lips were blue and as were the tips of her tiny fingers that had almost been snapped in half while they were moving her away from the Red Room and her young mother. They had not had a chance to look at her eyes, given that a premature baby's eyes remained shut for the first few weeks of their development but had immediately noticed the small sprouts of auburn hair on her flaky scalp that matched her mother's hair color.

Now, laying on a sterilized tray in an underground lab, the baby that had been quite literally dragged into this world by cold, unwelcoming hands was being kept there forcibly as some of HYDRA's best scientists worked to bring her back from the dead.

"How long are you going to poke my new toy with your devices?" Two men stood in the corner of the room, surveying the tiny corpse with a malicious intent, each of them having their own projects for this child that had not taken it's first breath yet.

The first man was short and quite portly, with black rimmed glasses and a gold ring on his plump, littlest finger. He had a hungry gleam in his eyes whenever his beady black eyes were on the dead infant. He spoke English quite well, but had a noticeable Russian accent.

The man next to him, who was taller, leaner with wider eyes chuckled quite loudly as if he wasn't sitting in a room trying to bring someone back from the dead. "She will be your toy as soon as she turns six years old, General. Until then, she is my Asset to break." The man was American. Alexander Pierce, one of HYDRA's newest esteemed and the first one to be on board with the idea of keeping the child as an Asset. "Now come, let us discuss the terms to our agreement in private." He lead the General away from the room that smelled of death and malice, opting instead to take the man to his office.

Once the men were out of ear reach, the scientist that had been readying the child for the injection that could save her released a breath she didn't know she was holding.

"Everything alright, doctor?" A lot of the scientists at HYDRA were English and American. The ones that spoke solely Russian were those in charge of training, guarding and doing the gnarly jobs that the scientists and medics did not get to do. This hadn't always been like that, but ever since Alexander Pierce had been working undercover at SHIELD, he had managed to get American doctors along with English scientists to come work for him in Siberia.