214 - Positive *Modern*

The clock just turns over when Francis finally stills on top of his pretty young wife, their chests heaving for air as he sets his weight into her, their bare chests smushed together as their lips gently dance, gently bringing each other down from their respective highs. The sheet has long since fallen to their waists, but Francis hides her devineness from the world, her arms gently wounding around his trim, taught waist, holding him to her. Mary loathes to move from this position, their naked, sweaty bodies pressed into each other, her body being pitched into the mattress and her head into the two pillows stacked on top of each other. It's a sweet sanctuary the two of them create, a little bubble away from the world where they can focus on each other and nothing and nobody else.

Finally, their chests calm and Mary relaxes into the bed beneath them both. It's warm from their hours of passion, a stark contrast to the bitter coldness of the December night that holds so much cold excitement in the air. Magic, from both outside and inside their rented home for the season. His family had just bought Abbaye de Talloires, and had just decided to use it for their winter residence. This included, of course, Christmas day. The bite of the coldness in the air and the luxurious warmth from their bodies and the fireplace that casted warmth around them, a magic little slice in paradise in what was unquestionably the most beautiful, happiest time of the year.

Mary lazily looked to the side, spotting the grandfather clock baring down upon them. She squints, reading the time in the darkness of the room. She looks back, running her fingers through Francis' hair, the owner of the blonde locks (albeit a little sweaty from the exertion) seeming quite content to just fall asleep right there on top of her.

"Merry Christmas, my love." she whispers with a smile.

He chuckles from the crook of her neck, sliding his lips across her bare neck.

"Merry Christmas." he whispers to his wife. He pulls back so they can look at each other properly. What a rollercoaster ride they've had for their relationship. Together since fourteen, they've been through so many trials and tribulations. Henry's cancer battle until his remission, James and Marie's divorce, accepting Marie's new husband and his children, graduating school, Lola and Bash, engaged at nineteen and married at twenty one, then the lives of adults where they had money and significant employment at their familial companies, and the mergence where the Stuart-de Guise-Valois-Angouleme-Medici dynasty ruled europe as the dominant power in all things business and trade. Now, at twenty six and twenty seven, nine months past their second pregnancy loss, laying together like this, at peace, after so much tribulation, it seemed blissful. "Would you like one of your gifts now?" Francis whispers.

"Should we do one each? I have something for you that can't wait til morning." she grins.

He smiles at her, both grieving as their bodies unwound from each other. Mary bites her lip as she overlooks his body, so perfectly sculpted by the Gods with a face and profile to match. Slowly,she sits up and retrieves a small black velvet box from the side of her bedside table as he does the same.

"You first," he whispers, handing her a black and gold velvet and satin embellished box. Mary smiles, taking the box and opening. She smiles softly, spotting a gold bedded diamond tennis bracelet with what looked like seventy or eighty diamonds lining the bracelet. Also, a matching gold ring with an impressive diamond in a halo of smaller ones. She smiles widely.

"Oh, it's beautiful, baby. Thank you." she kisses him gently. He takes her right hand, sliding the ring on her middle finger and clasping the gold around her wrist.

"Here." Mary whispers, passing him the box.

He opens it, his eyes opening wide as he takes the stick out of the box. Mary smiles widely as he holds it closer to his eyes, as if his eyes deceive him. 

Positive.

"Oh, Mary." he whispers. "R-really?"

"Yes." she whispers. "Nobody else knows, I-I think I'm about five weeks gone. A little September baby." she whispers with a smile.

"I-I-" he stutters, unable to talk. Mary giggles, giggling as he tackles her back onto the bed, kissing all over her face, before trailing down to her stomach. He whispers to her still flat belly, tears appearing in her eyes as she strokes his hair again.

"This is the one, Mary. I can feel it. We're going to be parents."

"We are." Mary's voice cracks with her tears. He joins their lips together, and Mary thinks she's never been so happy.