236 - Deceived *Modern*

His heart thumps in his chest at an alarming rate, his fingers tremble, his stomach rolls. He feels like he's going to faint he feels like he's going to be sick, he feels like he's going to scream, throw something, break something. He's so amped up that he doesn't know what to do, he doesn't know where his feet are leading him as he stumbled around the streets. He's ready to throw up, he's ready to scream, break his own door down and get the answers he needs. But none of these things come to light, all that comes to the light of day are tears that line his eyes and quickly roll down his face as he stumbled onto the pavement.

"The only reason Francis is so happy right now, the only reason I am pregnant is-"

"-Because you and I slept together. Yes, I know that. Do you think I don't?"

"Francis?" a voice asks. He looks around blindly for the voice, all he can hear is heeled footsteps, and the movement of shopping bags. He doesn't know where they come from, where they're coming or going or been, but he looks up when an angel in black faux leather trousers and a long light brown coat comes over to him. She places her bags near her, and sits right on the pavement next to him. Her face is drawn in concern, she's so beautiful and good and pure for this world. Her hair is long and dark and smells of jasmine and peonies. He's drawn to it just as he was drawn to her.

"Mary." he breathes tearfully, wiping his face. She can see the tears, however, and she draws the face of her ex-boyfriend towards her with concern. She's still so beautiful when her face is drawn like that, she's always been so beautiful, and he's always been such a fool when it comes to her.

"Whatever's the matter?" she asks him, brushing her hair out of her face with a quick flick of her neck, pulling his face closer to hers so she can take care of wiping his tears. "Is it Lola? The baby-" she says it like it's so normal, like it's not the thing that caused them to break up three months ago. She says it like it doesn't pain her, like it wasn't the cause of so many nights of tears and hard, passionate sex that spoke of raw desire, clinging to each other just because life was pulling them away.

"Lola-" he chokes. "and Sebastian."

Mary frowns at the mention of Kenna's boyfriend and Francis' half brother.

"What about him?"

"They've cheated on me, lied to me for months, Mary, months!" Francis cries out, trying to pull away just so she can pull him back in tighter. He leans towards her, but it's her turn to pull him back.

"What are you talking about, Francis?" she asks, so tenderly that  it makes more tears spring to his eyes.

"Mary, it-it's-"he sniffles. "It's not my baby, Mary. It's not my baby."