Chapter 42

3rd person's POV

     They appeared next to the central hearth in camp half blood, startling the athena cabin who was there showing a new camper around. Malcolm recognised them immediately, "Reyna!" : he said joyfully, then he saw who was lying beside her. "Nico, how did this-" : he stopped and whirled. "Get healers and Chiron now!" : he yelled at some of his campers, then knelt at Reyna's side. Nico's form was smoky, his body shifting and not completely solid. When an Apollo camper tried to trickle nectar into his mouth, the liquid splashed right through his face and onto the steps of the hearth. "I'm sorry," : she said, backing away, "there's nothing I can do at this point." 

     "Move!" : a loud voice interrupted, and Dionysus burst through the crowd of campers. "Everyone back!" : he shouted, his hands glowing with a green light. He thrust his fists into Nico's chest and the light flared brighter, but it didn't seem to help. "No! I won't lose another camper!" : yelled the wine god. He thrust his hands inside Nico's chest again, but the green light flickered and died this time. "I am sorry my child." : he stumbled back placing a hand on Reyna's shoulder. 

     "Reyna." : Nico whispered. "I'm here." : Reyna said. Nico turned his head and looked at her, a small smile broke his smoky lips. "I love you Reyna Avila Ramírez-Arellano." : he whispered. With one smoky hand, he removed the skull ring on his left ring finger and placed it into her palm, the ring turning solid the moment it touched her skin. Reyna's tears dripped from her face, the drops hissing as they passed through Nico's form. "I love you Nico De Angelo." : she replied. She leaned down and kissed him, and just for a second his face solidified. Then he sighed and his body evaporated into black smoke, which soaked into the grass he had been lying on. His stygian iron sword clucked to the floor, somehow sheathed.