Chapter 18

Aria has embraced the fact that she, and everyone else, will never escape Azula. But it was still an annoying fact to accept. She woke up this morning from a violent shake of the building and when she was about to freak out because she thought it was an earthquake, she heard bombs being fired. She packed her things as quickly as possible and rushed out to see what was going on. She came out just in time to see Aang closing the metal doors to protect them from the bombs but she managed to catch a glimpse of blue fire, so she didn't need any more information on what was going on. She walked over to help the others get Appa in the tunnel but the bison was uncooperative, so they had to escape seperatedly. 

Thankfully, the first group managed to make it out, but her group had to go on Appa and through the crossfire. She trusted Appa and Aang to get them out of there quickly but she still couldn't help to be a little unsure. As she and Katara were helping Suki to climb on Appa she heard Aang yelling at Zuko.

"What are you doing?!" Aang yelled the question 

"I'll stay behind. Something tells me this is a family visit" Zuko said as he ran straight to the airships. 

"Are you crazy?!" Sokka yelled back

"That moron!" Aria cursed him, not wanting to recognise the feeling of fear that was slowly consuming her. Fear for him. 

Appa flew out with a rock shield for the front created by Toph, and with Aria and Katara guarding the back, blocking any fire attacks. As they gained some distance and things started to somehow calm down, they all turned their heads to see Azula and Zuko fighting. They saw them aiming at each other and before they knew it a huge explosion was heard and both of the siblings were blown of the airship.

"NO! Oh my God..!" Aria yelled, without realising it herself and her body jerked towards the diriction Zuko fell, as if she could reach him from where she was. She came back to reality when hands grabed her shoulders and mede her sit as Appa made an abrupt dive to reach Zuko. She felt like she would fly away from the bison, air ripping through them so strong she thought her hands, which were holding onto Appa's saddle for dear life, were going to be detached from her body. And yet her eyes searched for him. 

Katara lifted her hands and her upper body to catch Zuko and bring him on the saddle, the prince stumbling on his own feet and eventually landing besides Aria. Before she could even process her actions she grebbed him by the arm, holding him there as if he would desappear and he would suddenly start falling again.  She searched him with her eyes for any serious injuries, but thankfuly found none. Only a few scraches and bruises here and there.

"She ...is not gonna make it" she heard him say

She turned her head to see Azula still falling and she found herself wishing that she won't make it. But her hopes were shuttered sortly, as she saw Azula surviving the fall.

"Of course she did" Zuko said and looked away.

It was night and they have camped on a hill. Honestly, Aria liked the area a lot. Open field with grass and trees, and the sea as their view with the wind blowing gently. It was peaceful. She was admiring the moon over the sea, looking at the waves crushing on the rocks underneath her.

She rested her back on the huge rock behind her and closed her eyes. She was away from the others who had just started cooking. It was Sokka's turn to help Katara with cooking and she could already hear her yelling at her brother. She smiled a little ,opening her eyes once more. She was thankful for childish moments like this. 

"Can you help me?" she heard a voice beside her. She turned her head and saw Zuko holding a first aid kit.  

"You want help cleaning a few scratches and bruises?" Aria asked with a raised brow

"Some are in places I can't reach" he said 

"Fine" Aria said after a moment and Zuko sat beside her, giving her the first aid kit

She got to work, firstly, doing the ones on his back. He flinched a few times due to the burn from the medicine but Aria ignored it.

"Stop flinching, I can't clean them properly. Besides it doesn't hurt that much" Aria said a little hurshly

"Well, you don't know. I might have a huge injury somewhere that hurts me" Zuko said playfully

"No you don't, I checked the moment you landed on Appa. There was no such thing as a 'huge injury' " she replied back smartly, turning him to tend to his arms

"Well, it's a good thing to know you pay such close attention to me" he said with a smirk 

Aria felt her cheeks go red and she thanked the heavens for that it was night or there was no saving this. 'Why you little-' she cursed in her mind

"Don't flatter yourself. Anyone with a brain can understand that if there is not a lot of blood there is not a big injury. Not externally at least, and if it was internal then you wouldn't be standing or walking or being a cocky bastard so that's how I knew-" Aria started talking quickly

"Breath Aria, don't want you chocking on something as stupid as your speech about how I am a 'cocky bastard' " Zuko said with playfulness making Aria even more embarassed and turning her cheeks even redder

"Just shut up and let me treat your wounds" Aria said firmly breaking the eye contact they had, not able to look at him face to face without feeling her cheeks betraying her. 

"Yes ma'am" Zuko said again with that damn smirk on his face

There was silence for a few moments, making Aria focus more and more on his wounds without even realizing his eyes on her. 

"You're done" she said when she was finished

"Thank you" he said with a gentle smile still looking at her and then he looking at his hands

"What?" Aria said

"I just realized that I finally calmed down from the adrenaline rush I had from the fight. I thought for a moment that it was the end of me. Thank you Aria, really, you made me forget it and somehow you made me feel at peace. Well, I guess you were always able to do that." Zuko said looking at the sea

"I barely said anything. Most of the time I was silently treating your wounds" Aria answered

"I know but you did it. I don't know how but you did it." Zuko said looking at her

"Don't go getting used to it" Aria answered with the same playfulness he used before

He chuckled a little and stroked the back of his neck awkwardly. He said a final thank you, took the first aid kit and left her there, not wanting things to become awkward.

Truth be told Aria felt a lightness in her chest too. And she didn't know how to handle it. So, she just turned her head towards the sea again to try and make herself forget what just happened, only for Zuko's gentle smile to enter her mind again.