Chapter 29: Mudblood

Catalina felt a chill running down her spine and her limbs froze in place. It was like her muscles were made of stone and she couldn't move them as much as she tried. Several droplets of cold sweat ran down on her skin and she almost felt like swallowing her tongue. Her eyes were so wide and terrified, that anyone who laid eyes upon her thought that they will pop out of their sockets. She felt something heavy in the pit of her stomach, like an anchor. Her fingers moved slowly and involuntarily besides her body but with no particular aim. It was like she was a robot with an error.

Her lower lip started to tremble as she kept gulping the lump in her throat that didn't seem to go away. Her feet were glued to the ground and no matter how much her inner voice screamed for her to leave, she couldn't move a single limb.

In front of her, around the long table were seated different figures that gave off a dangerous aura. All eyes were fixed on her questioningly. Only one chair at the end of the table was empty and she feared that she already knew to whom it belonged. The silence was agonizing as everyone scrutinized her.

There were a few figures she recognized: Lucius - he was the first one she laid her eyes upon, Draco, Professor Snape and Bellatrix Lestrange who fought against her and her friends. All her fears came alive as the puzzle arranged itself in her mind piece by piece.

Her family was right, the Ministry was right, Lucius was a Death Eater. The man to whom she gave herself completely, the man who owned her heart, mind and body was a criminal. The man she trusted. The man she saw a future with. The man for whom she left her family and ruined her life. That Lucius. She hoped it was all a nightmare and she will soon wake up tangled in his arms and smelling her cologne. She tried to move her arms to pinch herself but she was frozen.

Draco looked at her with a scared figure. He gulped and looked like he wanted to get up and run to her, to comfort her. But he restrained himself for displaying affection. Professor Snape just watched her closely with no emotion on his face, having both his hands placed on the table. At this moment she realized that not only she slept with one Death Eater, she slept with two.

It just made her wanna throw up and rub her skin on rough surfaces until she skinned herself alive only to not have their touches imprinted on her skin anymore.

And Draco... her best friend. The one who protected and supported her, he lied to her. There were no words to express the fear and disappointment she felt in that very moment. It was like everything she knew and her whole world collapsed on her. Was the world even real? Were the wizards even real? What was a lie and what wasn't anymore?

Lucius looked at her with pain written all over his face and pain taking his whole heart as well. For the first time in his life, he was afraid and he felt guilty. Guilty for pulling such a beautiful soul in this threatening and rotten world. For deceiving and lying to her knowing that the inevitable would come. For breaking her heart and making her afraid for her own life. He wanted to say something, anything, but the words seemed stuck in his throat.

He could not show everyone that she was his weakness. They would kill her only to torture and punish him.

Draco got up from his seat, but Lucius did the same thing. He placed his hand on Draco's shoulder, gripping him roughly and pushing him back down on his chair. He got closer to his son's ear. "I'll handle it."

Everyone watched as he approached the unknown guest. Her figure was trembling like a schizophrenic and she avoided his gaze. She looked down at the floor and noticed his shoes stopping right in front of her.

"Miss Fawley." He tried to speak confidently but she could hear the crack in his voice like he was about to cry.

Without any warning, he yanked her arm and apparated in his bedroom, leaving the Death Eaters whispering.