Chapter 7

"Well, that's the end of the story... I guess." The man watching me had told me specifically to not leave out a single detail about what had happened, and I made sure not to do so. The man had listened to me tell the whole story, never speaking nor asking questions.

"682 woke me up when we arrived, I was transferred to a cell, and then I was taken here." I continued

"I see..." The man said, rubbing his chin. "You know that you're very lucky." He said.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Not only did you manage to befriend a creature known to despise all life, the foundation staff decided to spare your memories."

"Yeah. I think I'm happier they didn't kill me right then and there."

"That's not on the agenda for today. At least not for you..."

I don't know if I was surprised or nervous about those words, but it was more of the last thing, I was thinking of what he was saying, and I suddenly thought of something, something impossible. "What do you mean?" I asked, trying to convince myself what he might say isn't possible.

"As you probably might know, 682 is known to be impossible to destroy, we've tested many ways to terminate 682, but we have recently found a way to kill 682 quickly and painlessly. And today is the day we do it."

I suppressed the urge to gasp, or make a surprised face, or show any emotion whatsoever. Having read the test logs, I knew how many times they tried to terminate 682, and everything they tried was a failure. what SCP or machine were they thinking of using to end the life of my beloved friend?

"What is it?" I asked nervously.

"It's super simple, almost shocking even." The man said, stroking his chin.

" It's just a simple injection. Just a few drops of this lethal fluid could kill some of the most powerful and strongest creatures on earth. At least, That's what I've been told anyway." He let out a laugh as if what he just told me was a joke. I was beginning to hope that he was joking, to begin with. He cleared his throat and started talking again.

"But anyway, we will be administering the injection in just a few hours."

"What will happen during that time?" I asked.

"The foundation is creating a harness for 682, a very tight one to prevent him from... trying to escape." I noticed that he stopped talking between those last few words, as though he didn't know the right word to use. I still couldn't comprehend what was about to happen to 682, a friend I've known for about 5 months will be dead in just a few hours. I felt like I needed to say something, something to stop a murder from happening. I just wasn't going to let 682 die before my very eyes.

"Does 682 know? About the fact, you guys are about to end his life I mean." I asked. He sighed.

"Yes, he does. I mean. We had to tell him eventually. It was better than letting him find out the hard way."

"Did he take it well?" I asked. I felt like I had to know, considering how well he took bad news. I remember one time I told him that I was going to sell him out as a joke. It took over an hour to convince him I was joking. All of that seemed like an eternity ago.

"Well, he took it very differently than we expected. He just sighed, nodded in understanding, and let all the staff do what they needed without any fuss. Which is strange, whenever we would try to retrain him or measure him or anything, he would swear and attack us. But now he seems like a changed being, he even had a good opportunity to escape, but he didn't seize it as he would before."