Part 2

Scanning the trees, Link spotted the first torch a few yards off and walked to it. As soon as he reached the flickering light he paused and looked around for the next small fire. The path was easy at the beginning but the father he got the harder it was to see the next torch. He would often wander away from the torch and several times would almost get consumed by the fog. The longer it took Link to find the next torch the less confident he became, he was starting to doubt the fact that he was the chosen one.

Eventually, giving up, Link sat down by a torch. What was he supposed to do? He wasn't sure if he would be able to get father and he wasn't sure if he could get back to the entrance. Sure he could always wander off into the fog but that would be humiliating. Link wasn't sure he could keep going. Giving in he pushed himself to his feet and started wandering in a random direction to get carried away by the fog.

Although Link was giving up his heart wasn't in it. He dragged his feet instead of taking steps and he kept pausing and looking around. This wasn't who he was, the forest must have been messing with his mind. Sure he was known as the silent knight but he was the knight that had been appointed Princess Zelda's personal guard, he was the knight that had saved Zelda, Impa, and several others from certain death. He might be the silent knight but he wasn't the cowardly knight. He planted his feet firmly on the ground and stopped, he couldn't, wouldn't give up, people were counting on him. If he really was the chosen one then it was his job to seal away Ganon; he couldn't make Hyrule pay for his mistake of quitting.

Link walked back to the torch and placed his hands on his hips looking around. The next torch was here somewhere he just had to find it. He looked back and through squinted eyes he could make out the previous torch. That torch had been quite some distance away from the one Link was at so the next torch was probably even farther. Not knowing what else to do Link closed his eyes to recenter and that's when he heard something. It was a faint sound but it seemed to be calling for him, it sounded like it had been calling for so long. The call wasn't loud but it was persistent and fairly obvious. How had he missed this?

After a few minutes of listening Link was finally able to decipher which direction the call was coming from. Link, keeping his eyes closed, followed the sound keeping his hands in front of him to prevent him from crashing into any trees. He soon realized he didn't need his arms outstretched. The calls led him safely around every obstacle. Eventually Link opened his eyes and to his astonishment and amazement he saw the next torch right in front of him. A smile tugged at the side of Link's mouth. Maybe he could do this.

The calls were louder now and Link closed his eyes again and started walking. Before long Link broke into a jog weaving through the trees and undergrowth. He opened his eyes and smiled, his confidence was back. He closed his eyes again and slowed his pace, he didn't want to miss the torch. Although after only a few more minutes of walking he heard something, something like bells. Link opened his eyes and his eyes widened in shock. Was he really here, had he really made it? Running around everywhere were koroks, they looked exactly like they were described in the stories, small, made of wood and with giant leaf masks with crude faces. He had arrived in the village of Koroks.

As soon as the nearby koroks saw Link they all ran off in the same direction and Link assumed they wanted him to follow. Link jogged after them and after not too long he found where all the koroks were gathering there the call that had led him here was practically screaming. Link looked around and to his disbelief he saw a sword sticking out of the ground. He walked towards it and as soon as he was standing right in front of it a voice broke the soft tinkling of bells.

"Greetings Hero that has come to claim the sword that seals the darkness." Link looked up and beheld the source of the deep voice. It was a giant tree looming over him. "I am the great Deku tree, the final obstacle standing between you and the sword. I am surprised that you were able to make it here. Tell me, Link, how did make it through the lost woods?"

Link was taken aback by the Great Deku tree knowing and saying his name but he recovered quickly. "I-" Link paused to search for the best words, "I followed the swords calls."

The Great Deku tree looked thoughtful. "Fascinating. You are not the first to say that. The previous hero from hundreds of years ago gave a similar explanation. If the sword called you then you truly are the chosen one. Is the Calamity really so close to returning?"

Link could tell the question wasn't meant for him to answer but the question shook Link a little. Even though the Deku Tree didn't say it Link knew that if he really was the chosen one that meant that Calamity Ganon would return during his lifetime.

"I can sense your worry." The Great Deku Tree sighed. "I feel the same worry. I have seen your heart and can see that you truly are the one to wield the sword that seals the Darkness. Link, son of Lian, protector of Hyrule, I grant you permission to claim the Master Sword."

Link couldn't believe what he was hearing, had he really made it? Would he really be the one to return wielding this ancient weapon? Link gave a small bow. "Thank you, Great Deku Tree." Link stepped forward and placed both of his hands on the swords hilt and started pulling. It didn't budge.

The Great Deku Tree chuckled slightly. "Pulling physically is only part of it, you must relax your thoughts and emotions." Link nodded and breathed out letting all his thoughts and emotions flow out with the air. Then Link started pulling again. It took a lot of his energy but finally Link felt the sword slide out of place. As soon as the sword was completely removed a sensation overcame Link. All of his senses were heightened and it felt like he had been half asleep his entire life and was now fully awake.

Link looked up at the Great Deku tree and saw that his worn tired face had a smile. "I wish you luck, Link, hero that will seal the darkness."

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!