Part 25

Link looked down at Zelda who he realized was looking up at him. However instead of the usual anger in her eyes she instead had a look Link couldn't quite place. He extended a hand to help her up and she accepted, allowing Link to pull her to her feet. "I apologize for taking so long to find you." Link said as he put his sword back.

Zelda looked away. "Th- thank you for saving me. I-" Zelda paused before mumbling the rest, "I'm sorry for running off." Link was surprised by her apology. In the entire time Link had chased after her she had never apologized. It was quite shocking to hear her say that and Link nodded as a way to tell her it was no problem. Zelda looked up at him. "You came to save me without any regard for your own safety. I- well I don't understand why. I've been nothing but cold to you and yet you saved me."

Link started walking towards Kara Kara Bazaar and said over his shoulder, "It's my job, Princess." What he didn't say was that of course he was going to save her. If everything he had heard and been told was true she was only rude to him because of the pressure on her shoulder and he could personally understand. They both had different ways of expressing their stress and if hers was getting upset at Link than maybe it was okay. Hopefully, though, this was going to change how things were between them. Maybe, they could be friends instead of just the princess and her personal knight whom she hated.

When they reached Kara Kara Bazaar Link noticed that it lacked the music that it normally had. Instead everyone just sat around or was asleep. When Link entered the inn the keeper looked at them with a look of sympathy. "Sav'saaba. I'm terribly sorry but tonight all of our beds are filled."

Link and Zelda shared a look of curiosity and concern. "Oh... normally you aren't. Does this have something to do with the lack of music?" Zelda asked.

The Gerudo woman nodded. "Yes, but don't worry, music will be back up tomorrow. We had just heard that the yiga have been more active this evening and when that's the case we prefer to keep things on the downlow."

Zelda looked over at Link and he shrugged. She then thanked the Gerudo lady before her and Link walked out. "What are we going to do?"

Link was slightly taken aback by the question. Well not by the question itself but by the fact that Zelda was asking him. The only times she willingly spoke to him was with a snarky undertone or with an unpleasant look on her face. Link thought for a moment before answering. "It would be dangerous to just stay here and sleep outside but it would be just as dangerous to walk across the desert at night. However we could try to hurry back to the stable and then we can rest there. Even if we can't rest there, it would at least be safer."

Zelda nodded and then started walking. Link followed behind her and they left the Bazaar. As they walked the sun completely disappeared and the night grew colder. Link kept himself on high alert and would tense at every single movement of undergrowth or just sand blowing across the desert. Every moment he expected the yiga to just jump out from behind a sand dune, a bush, or a Cactus.

Fortunately, through the entire walk through the desert there was never a single sighting of the yiga. When they finally reached the end of the desert both Link and Zelda exhaled a sigh of relief. They hurried to the stable and they were given empty beds and Link and Zelda quickly fell asleep.

They awoke early the next morning and Zelda's additude still didn't shift back to how it normally was. Both princess and knight collected their horses and started their silent journey back to Hyrule Castle. Link continued to stay on edge expecting anything really to jump out from behind a rock or out of a tree. The young knight couldn't shake the feeling of being watched which only heightened his paranoia.

When Hyrule castle eventually came into view Link was able to allow himself to relax just a litte. They had made it back safely and that was all that mattered for now. He would still have to bring this attack to his father which means he would have to mention that Zelda had "run away" and he was certain that would ruin Zelda's kind attitude towards him. "Princess," Link started and Zelda turned her attention to him, "I should probably let you know I'm going to have to tell my father and the king about what happened."

Zelda sighed. "I figured... can I at least come with you to talk to them?" Link was taken aback but agreed and when they reached the castle Link and Zelda quickly handed their horses over and then Link hurried on the search to find his father.

It wasn't that hard as Link knew that at this time Lian would be training some of the younger knights. They quickly found the courtyard where Link's father was and saw that he was watching the young knights practice form. He looked up and noticed his son in the door and Link waved him over. Lian nodded and held up his hands. All of the young knights stopped and Lian called out. "Class is being cut short today. Now I want all of you to continue working on what we learned today and I will see you tomorrow." All the teenagers started chattering and Lian hurried over to his son. "I'm glad to see you are back, son. How is everything going?"

"Can I speak with you and the King?"

Link's father nodded. "I'm sure that should be fine. I can inform his majesty right now." Lian hurried out of sight and Link and Zelda followed. They quickly reached the throne room and the guards stationed outside allowed them in. When they stepped in Link saw that the king stood up on his normal tall balcony and Link's father stood below and off to the side.

"I was told you needed to speak with me." The king said, looking down on them.

Link nodded. "This is correct. I have some updates regarding what happened while we were visiting the Gerudo Desert." The king gestured for Link to continue. "While we were there Princess Zelda snuck out of my sight and was attacked by the Yiga clan. I was able to stop them but we have learned that they have been becoming more and more active. While we were in Rito Village not too long ago Champion Revali informed us that they are able to make themselves appear as normal Hylians and have been attacking travelers. In the Gerudo desert they have simply been prowling around and causing chaos and fear."

The king nodded as he took in all that Link had told him. Eventually he spoke. "This is most concerning. I had heard rumors that the Yiga were becoming more active but I was unsure if I should believe the rumors. Now I am worried to hear that they were not just rumors. Captain, what are your thoughts on this?"

Link turned his attention to his father. "Well," Lian started, "it is definitely concerning that the yiga are becoming more active and attacking the princess is a bold move. This knowledge that they can appear as Hylians is also worrisome. I will have to inform my most trusted men to keep an eye out for any suspicious behavior among the knights to make sure that the security forces have not been infiltrated. We have known for a while that they have been planning to assassinate the Princess but with the fact that they were nearly able to accomplish that is very concerning."

The King nodded. "That would not have been an issue though if my daughter had tried to escape the careful watch of the knight, Link." He now spoke directly to Zelda. "You are very fortunate that Link was able to defeat the Yiga. All of Hyrule would have suffered from your death and would have all been because you can't behave. You need to focus more on your training and less on trying to escape the view of your knight. Do you know what the consequences would have been if you were killed? Death to Hyrule."

Link looked over at Zelda and saw that she had lowered her gaze to her feet. "I'm sorry, father." She muttered.

The King frowned. "As you should be."

So I have been vibing with taking a break from writing this story but I am almost out of pre-written chapters haha. I think I have 3 more and then I have to get the motivation back to write. But anyone I hope everyone has been enjoying the story so far because this is about the half way mark so yeah.