Part 28

"Link?"

Link immediately snapped back into the moment and turned to look at Zelda. She was sitting up and her hair was slightly disheveled and her eyes had a groggy look to them. She was looking at Link with a look of confusion and when Link looked at her she frowned. "What are you doing?" She asked using a hand to rub one of her eyes.

"Oh..." Link looked back down at the master sword, "I was just looking at the master sword and got lost in thought." He chuckled awkwardly and shrugged.

Zelda looked around before going to fix her hair with her hands. Link had never since the princess in such a vulnerable state and whether she was completely aware she was doing this in front of Link or not he was slightly shocked nonetheless. Feeling a little awkward, Link put the master sword back and stood before doing some small stretches.

"We should get back to the castle, Princess. Your father doesn't know that we would be staying here tonight and we should probably get back before he panics."

Zelda nodded. "I agree," she then started to mumble, "I don't need my father yelling at me again."

Link wasn't really sure what to say to that so he just nodded. Zelda climbed off the bed she was on and her and Link left the inn after giving a quick goodbye to Tray. The duo hurried out of Goron City and quickly found their way to the stable where Epona and Jesper were. When they had left Goron City the sun was just barely rising and even when they reached the stable it still wasn't fully up.

Once they got on their horse Zelda commented on that. "Wow, you really do like starting your day early. We got down the entire mountain and the sun isn't even fully up yet."

Link shrugged. Ever since he started his knight training he would get up when the sun was just starting to rise because his father pushed the boys hard especially right after his Link's mother had passed. What he wasn't about to admit to Zelda was that he had awoken due to a nightmare not just because he wanted to. Zelda looked at Link and opened her mouth as if she wanted to say something but instead turned her attention forward.

The entire ride back to the castle was silent as Link's thoughts drifted back the nightmare he'd had. Again he was trying to line up what all the nightmares could mean together but by the time they had reached the castle he couldn't find a connection.

When they arrived at the castle, Link was surprised when Impa walked over to greet them. "Princess!" she called.

Zelda turned her attention to her and smiled. "Impa, it's good to see you."

Impa nodded. "Likewise, Princess."

Zelda and Link dismounted their horses and Zelda walked over to Impa. "Is everything alright?"

Impa nodded. "Even more so. Lian and I were able to convince the king to allow the both of you to have a day to just take a break and relax. Lian especially was providing a wonderful argument. I think more often than not the King forgets you are sixteen and seventeen."

A faint smile appeared on Zelda's face. "Really? My father is allowing us a day to just take a break?"

Impa nodded. "The both of you have definitely deserved this. You can go anywhere really. Castle town, Hyrule Fields, one of the champion's homes, anywhere. The only thing the king said is that Link will have to go where Zelda wants to go."

Zelda turned to look at Link. "Is that okay?"

Link nodded. He honestly didn't care that he had to continue staying with Zelda. All that really mattered to him was that his father was aware of their young ages and understood that the both of them needed a day to breathe. He hadn't had a day with zero worries in a while.